Fretless Fretboard Finshes???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JohnL, Sep 21, 2000.

1. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Sorry if you've heard and answered this B4, but I'm new to this site. I recently converted a MIJ Fender Jazz to fretless, and really like the results so far. I used lemon oil on the fretboard after filling and sanding the fret slots, but I have heard that some type of finish may make the board last longer so the strings don't damage the surface. (I like roundwounds) Any suggestions? Thanks!
  2. That would be a polyester or epoxy finish ala Jaco and his famous bass. Yes, it is true that these finishes are what is required to make your fingerboard tougher. You should know however, that it is not unusual for the tone of your instrument to be altered somewhat by this addition. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. You will be the one living with what's left. I personally had never had much experience with the process but after playing on one of the illustrious John Turner basses from Conklin, have come to the conclusion that it does sound good and I will consider it for one of my basses.

There is another route to take that doesn't require all of the work, is a lot less messy and won't totally wreck the bass if you screw up. That is to use boiled linseed oil on the raw wood. This will harden it up somewhat and yet keep the natural tone from changing too much. Lot's of guys swear by it.

Hope this helps