Fretless fretboard help - roundwound wear

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tracer03, Sep 4, 2010.

1. I have searched, both TB and the Internets, and I must be doing something wrong...I cannot find any definitive information or a simple answer...:meh:

I have a used Fretless MIM Jazz (Allparts neck) and the previous owner had it strung with rounds. There is some minimal string wear that I would like to remove.

I have a radius sanding block and stacks of sandpaper of varying grits, colors, etc.

What's the best way to smooth out the fretboard and remove the string wear?

I know to sand the length of the neck in long smooth motions, but what grit(s) should I be using? 200/400 or higher? 000 or 0000 steel wool?

Thanks in advance.

2. 1. It's a fingerboard :cool:
    2. I've dressed FBs starting w/220, moving on to 400, 600, 800 & IIRC stopped at 1000 or maybe 1200. I used a homemade radius block and a flat block- go slow and check trueness & radius often.

3. Derf. Y'see, I...um,....meant to say that...being that there are no frets, and all...:oops:

The radius block, I understand, but the flat? Is that to check trueness, or for sanding?

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021