Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless fretted?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I borrowed a schoolmates bass at a lesson before graduation and it was a Washburn taurus i think, anyway the strings was lying on the frets so it sounded fretless. Is it possible to do this to one of my basses (Warwick maybe)? Should i adjust the neck/bridge or maybe both? Does it hurt the bass in anyway?

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    ehm, how is it possible to have the strings lying on the frets without creating a huge buzz or no sound at all? Could you provide us with some pics?

3. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sorry, i have no pics of the bass i borrowed. I was amazed too that there was no buzz or similar string sound.

4. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    Id like to hear how convincing this "fake fretless" is
    if oyu can record something and give us a link to wherever you post ur stuff

5. Sounds really strange to me.

6. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sorry folks, i have no evidence such as photos or sound/videofiles of this magic bass, all i can say is this is true i'm not telling a lie here.

7. I played a bass like this once. The frets were so filed down that you could do fretless-sounding slides on it, but there was still enough fret that you didn't really have to worry about intonation. It was really cool, but I'd be scared to try it with any of my instruments. But I've got one of each, so it's all good!

:bassist: