Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Funk?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KYJazzy, Jul 9, 2005.

1. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Was planning on pickin up a P bass from Rondo soon as a beater, but a beater in the tribute of FUNK. :bassist: I'm talkin' REAL funk, a groove so deep you can swim in it. soul swing. :p

i've never played fretless and i was wondering what kind of sound would be produced if i went that direction. is good funk mostly about the tasteful muting, or can fretless enhance this? or is classic funk p-bass frets and all?

I just want to get something I'm satisfied with and don't say, "man, shoulda went with ________."

fretless P bass? yay? nay? clips? :D

2. I highly admire your aspiration/dedication to dedicate something to funk!

Although, I have never heard of many professional players whom use a P Bass, let alone a fretless one... Then again, I am a "young punk kid" with no understanding of "real" music, so what do I know, I'm just a youth.

But, I must say to you, funk on soul man... funk on :cool:

~Ryan

PS, Larry Graham uses a jazz bass, so, that's where I am getting some of my reference from.

EDIT: I think that most funk players would detur from a fretless, as alot of "funk" in itself, is slapping and popping. Which is able to tear the hell out of fingerboard, and wear it out fairly well, from what I've heard. Of course, Pedulla does have that polyester(?) coating for just such a need :)

3. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    see but therein lies the problem -

when I mean funk, I mean deep funk. the smooth stuff, not like red hot chili peppers slap pop slap wank wank (no offense, I love em, just they're not really... FUNK). the good ol' days, where the Precision Bass reigned supreme. you know, the really muted fast fretting style. its the definition of BASS (to my ears :) ) surely someone here knows what I mean.

man I was thinking about the PJ from rondo too but it seems really shady - why is a PJ SO much lighter than a standard P or J? What's the deal there? and PJ's don't get the same deep tone as a P right? some wimpy middleground tone?

yeah man, I'm confused, I want a funky new P bass but don't know where to start.

4. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I got a fretless Jazz bass from rondo not too long ago. I think for the price, you really can get a lot of funk and sould out of it. I think it sounds just fine for funk and soul. I'd recommend it.

5. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    hmm...yeah, i've played numerous jazzes before, but a jazz has never given me the desirable deep end a P does. something about that P.........

6. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Well if it's the P that you want then I say go for it. I'm very impressed with rondo quality so I think the P would be great.

7. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    yes yes but lets stay on topic. this isn't a matter of J vs P, oh no. this is:

1. why are PJ's so darn light? And what's the tone? Beefy as P? (plus...i admit, i love jazz neck taper).

2. Fretless or Fretted for Funk?

8. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    Imo fretted definitely! The fretless sound doesn't have the edge and the final kick, if you know what I mean...

9. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    yeah actually, thanks, that's a good thought.

can anyone answer my PJ question?

10. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    jaco used a fretless and much of his stuff was pretty funky

-jimbo

11. Eoghan

Eoghan

Dec 5, 2004
    Australia.
    Jaco Pastorius has some FUNKAY songs. HE played a Fretless Jazz.

12. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    jaco had some funky ****

but he didn't play "funk"

13. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Get a Fretted PJ. If you can't dig it then get a flat mill bastard file and file the those dirty little frets down.

14. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

As to the comment about pros using P basses, many pros use P basses.

If you're looking for a deep funk sound, I'd go with the P instead of the J. I'd also go with the fretted bass. I prefer fretless overall, but for what you are trying to do, a fretted bass would be better. The P would give you the thump and the frets would give you some percussive sound on top of that.

Can't answer the question about the weight of the PJ bass.

Have fun!

15. verbass

verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    The P has the deeper bump that helps define the funk sound .I play fretted and fretless the song determines the type funk you are putting out. If you can get the necessary feel out of a fretless go with it ,just play around . Remember we don't ever own the basses in our company they tend to own us. so don't marry any one idea.

By the way Fretless P bass pro user TONY FRANKLIN .
    check out the Firm and Blue Murder Albums for that sound .
    :spit:

IF THE FUTURE IS NOW ..................
    WHAT WAS YESTERDAY?

16. JazzerHF

JazzerHF

Dec 14, 2004
    I would go fretted P for funk... thats what jamerson used... and I think thats the kinda sound youre going for... though get a fretless later on so you have the option open... cuz fretless can be pretty funky if played right... just my 2 cents

17. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    yeah,Barbary Coast,one of my favotite of Jaco and its all about funk,the fretless sounds in funk music is definetly a plus,thousends of funk songs are player or recorded with fretles basses.

18. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Just the fact that you're talking about old-school funk not RHCP funk (again, no offense to any Flea fans, but that isn't the true old-school funk) shows your head is in the right direction for a P. A P will definitely get you there, no problem, and the fretless will also work fine. Funk doesn't always mean slappin' & poppin' (i.e., Rocco w/TOP .... doesn't get any funkier than that ;) )

Don't hesitate to go to Rondo, just know that a little work will need to be done to get the bass where you want it. Or, keep an eye on the 'bay for an old P-bass japanese copy from the late '60's ... I've got a passive Goya that knows how to funk :cool:

19. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I Just finished a tour with a funk band playing fretless 80% of the time. Everyone seemed to dig it.

20. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    for my the best basses for play funk are the Fender Jazz because is perfect for any situation and the StingRay,because this bass have the best slap tone and the pluck is strong.