Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Fusion Jazz "Sound"

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Guy Kitchens, Aug 26, 2001.

1. Guy Kitchens

Guy Kitchens

Aug 25, 2001
    What, if any, are the effects used by fusion fretless bassists? I've heard recordings that seem to use some delay, reverb or chorus? Maybe even a flanger? I know there are lots of good techniques involved with the fretless. I'm just trying to nail down the sound...
    Thanks

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Guy,

there are almost as many effects setups as there are fretless bassists, and if you have a specific sound that you're equiring about, then it's probably best to ask the artist what they use. I've heard just about every imagineable effect applied to fretless... and that's just in my studio!! :oops:)

I know that Michael Manring uses compression, reverb, chorus, delay, pitch change, distortion, flange, whammy, autowah, normal wah, and a whole host of others. I use all of the above and various step filters and analogue synth sounds, tremelo etc. Jimmy haslip uses chorus, reverb, compression and a whole host of other great sounds on his last album Red Heat (a great album, BTW...) In the 80s chorus was particularly popular, and Jaco used a lot of chorus and delay sounds. Now bassists seem to be as into getting strange sounds as the thin stringers are... :oops:)

Best bet is to experiment and see what you can come up with as your sound, find the sound that grabs you, that makes you laugh, cry, dance, whatever, and see what cool tunes you can come up with by using it...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. Guy Kitchens

Guy Kitchens

Aug 25, 2001
    Steve,
    Thanks so much for your time and the information. I had no idea how diverse the effects used on a fretless could be! Gee, I could spend alot of time trying different effects and combination of effects. Hope my "better half" is understanding of this need to explore...of course, it's all in the name of artistic expression...right?