fretless gecko help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by envy1400, Feb 19, 2010.

1. envy1400

envy1400

Feb 19, 2010
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    ive been tossing around the idea of getting a fretless and i think i would definately get a warmoth gecko but im not an expert when it comes to woods.

im not exactly sure what kinds of woods i would want. i thought at first i would want a warm sound but i have searched a couple forums and noticed that a fair amount of people get brighter sounding woods.

what kind of woods should i look at to get the best sound out of a fretless? or does it really depend on the sound i want?

many thanks in advance

2. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    is there a particular sound you are trying to get? a particular artist or song?

3. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    it does really depend on the sound you want.

4. envy1400

envy1400

Feb 19, 2010
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    i was afraid of that answer. i've only been playing for 4 years so im not real sure what kind of sound i want. i guess i should probably get on youtube and listen to different fretless tones or something.

5. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    is there someone's music that inspired you to play fretless? What is it about the bass that makes you interested? What style music will it be for? Geckos are good basses, but that information might help steer you in the right direction.

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I'm found of warm and articulate myself. Mahogany body or mahogany body with maple or walnut top would be my choice. For neck would prefer 3-5 peice, if the latter maple and walnut. otherwise maple. Rosewood fretboards my usual fave, but since your doing fretless I think ebony would be better choice and jumbo frets. Medium at least. Lol.

What kind of pups you gonna do for it? Humbucker/soapbar, PJ set, JJ set or PP set or maybe even Humbucker and Jazz combo?

I hope your bass turns out to be as much as your dreaming for it to be.

7. :confused:
    What?

8. envy1400

envy1400

Feb 19, 2010
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    i can't say anyone in particular inspired me to play fretless i just love the sound.
    it'll be mostly for a worship band im in at church that plays slower songs but i'd like to also use it for jazz stuff.
    i'm definitely getting the wide neck and i was thinking of going with soapbars

9. at the risk of turning the whole forum on me, in the end, your hands will make more difference than the wood in the body. Jaco would sound like Jaco whether he played a Jazzbass or a hagstrom. Buy what you like the look of and you'll make it your own. I think a maple neck is a good idea and either rosewood or ebony fingerboard is good too. The former is cheaper and warmer, the latter is harder wearing but more expensive. Buy the best pickups you can afford and and alder or ash body. All of these are easy to get and standard for all basses. Buy good pickups and a decent preamp. Bartolinis are the standard but if you get a deal on something else, try them. But just remember what I said. Your tone really comes from these...

[​IMG]

10. envy1400

envy1400

Feb 19, 2010
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    ^^i would agree with you to a large degree

thanks for all the help all

11. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    #1. Mahogany body/maple neck/ebony fingerboard

#2. swamp ash body/maple neck/rosewood fingerboard

#3. alder body/maple neck/pau ferro fingerboard

#4. random :D

12. -1

Rosewood is far too soft to be a good choice for a fretless instrument.

13. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    ash/wenge/pau ferro

14. +1 :D

But with Swamp Ash, not Hard Ash.

15. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    :bag:

rosewood body/padouk neck/macassar ebony fingerboard! :ninja:

:bag:

16. Sounds cool, but Padouk is one of the few woods that Warmoth will not make a Gecko neck from.

Or at least that's what TalkBass member tubby.twins said.

17. MrSandman

MrSandman

Jul 27, 2009
    Croatia, Zagreb
    I would go with
    -swamp ash 1 peace body
    -maple neck
    -ebony fingerboard
    -clear satin finish on neck & body
    -black hipshot hardware
    -nordstrandt dual coil pups
    -passive, stellartone tonestyler pot

pot layout: vol/balance stacked and tonestyler alone...
    also I would go with a 6 string but that's me.

With these you will have relatively cheap, simple, light and good sounding bass!:bassist:

cheers

18. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    That's what I was told a year ago, but it may no longer be true. Padouk is not usually available for Gecko necks due availability of suitable wood that's long enough, and concerns about stiffness at that length. But I am now hearing that it may be possible.

OP: For good fretless tone, the neck wood will matter less than the fingerboard wood or the choice of pickups. You can get a nice "warm" tone out of a standard Maple or Wenge neck if you choose the fingerboard and pickups correctly.

If you find something special in the Showcase that suits you (i.e. non-Maple or non-Wenge) don't hesitate to buy it, because it may not be available again for a while. Otherwise you should order a Maple neck (if you like finished necks) or a Wenge neck (if you don't) from the standard neck builder, or by phone.

Warm woods for fretless fingerboard include Purpleheart, Bubinga, and Rosewood. Goncalo Alves is probably too soft for this purpose unless you put an epoxy finish over it. I haven't tried a fretless Wenge fingerboard yet, but it's supposed to be warm and sufficiently durable.

Harder woods such as Ebony (regular or Macassar), Bloodwood or Ziricote will usually impart a "zingy" treble response, at least when you play the bass unplugged. This may be harder to hide if you have a pickup that lets the high end through. Then again, you can always use capacitors or active EQ to roll off the treble response somewhat.

Roundwound strings will usually have a brighter response, while flatwounds have a warmer or "duller" sound. Responses vary between brands. Consider using "half-round" or "groundwound" strings for a happy medium.

Some soapbar-shaped pickups have a more "aggressive" tone, while others have a more neutral or subdued tone. I can recommend several brands that I've tried that would be suitable for a warmer, more natural sounding tone.

Hope this helps!

19. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes the tree Gold Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I have a Warmoth fretless (not Gecko) 5'er - swamp ash/quilt maple top, maple/ebony neck, sSeymour Duncan stack 5's and Audere preamp, Gotoh bridge. It sounds great - a bit more focused than my GWB-1 but not as warm (Barts on the GWB).

Dan K.

20. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    But... reverendrally says that tone is all in the hands, so of course your basses all actually sound the same when you play them. You must be hearing things.... :D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021