1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretless Gibson Ripper?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TrevorOfDoom, Nov 6, 2013.

1. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    This popped up on my Craigslist feed. Very interesting, and if I had any desire (or extra cash) I'd snag it just out of curiosity.
    Anybody know anything about this?
    Fretless '76 Gibson Ripper

No, I'm not associated with the seller. just thought I'd share an interesting find.

2. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    If it plays alright, I'd offer $500. Sounds like an interesting bass.

3. Kevin aka Kebo

Kevin aka Kebo Commercial User

Nov 17, 2011
    Princeton NJ
    Owner - Kebo's Bass Works
    its defretted, not fretless. The headstock looks funky but its a lousy pic..

4. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    I remember seeing a couple of factory fretless Rippers back in the day. Unlined ebony fingerboards. Didn't Rick Danko play one?

5. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    I have one just like it. Nice and light with a big body. The bass is lots of fun.

6. There are fretless rippers, but this isn't one of them, because as mentioned before, the FL version has no facedots nor fretlines. Also the sidedots on the FL model are on a quirky place, i.e. on the exact same location as the dots on a fretted model (between the positions, instead of on the 3rd, 5th,...). They're kinda rare, only 1200ish were built.

7. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I owned a '76 fretless a number of years ago. I know there are some die-hard Ripper fans, but I didn't care for the tone, the 3 point bridge, or the neck dive.

8. lc12345678

lc12345678

Jan 20, 2005
    Looks like it was re-fretted, bridge cover missing, tuners not original plus the pick-ups aren't original too. Can't tell from the pic but it looks like there was a knob/switch added for new electronics. Other than that looks factory.:p

ps. I own a ebony 75' Ripper.