1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretless Graphite Neck?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by saxnbass, Dec 1, 2006.

1. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Does graphite (Moses) make for a good fretless neck? I know Moses makes good necks, but does graphite make for a good fretless? How does it sound, how well does it hold up with roundwounds, etc? Thanks.

2. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Anybody?

3. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    edit: i was wrong. it's just very shiny ebony.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I had a Moses fretless neck on my AmStd Jazz, and it was great. However, I always used flats.

I finally decided I don't like Jazzes (give me single HB basses) so I sold it. If I ever decide to build another fretless, I would consider another Moses neck.

5. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Anybody else?

6. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I have a Status graphite neck on a Warmoth swamp ash J body, with EMG J pups and a BAII bridge. I love graphite necks (Status in particular) and this fretless is the only one I will ever need. Awesome tone.

[​IMG]

I've been using Dean Markley Fretmaster strings on it (these are rounds, but burnished over the fingerboard section for a slightly smoother feel). I have a set of Rotosound Solo bass to try on there as well. That said, I've never had wear problems on a fretless board even with roundwounds, and I did a lot of gigs over a five year period with my Yamaha fretless with a rosewood board. The fingerboard on the Status neck is phenolic and is probably just about as wear resistant as you can get.

Here's a sound clip:

www.billygreen.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Clip1.mp3

(Ignore the hum, I recorded straight to my soundcard with a crappy unshielded lead. In use the EMGs are dead quiet.)

So, not much information for a few posts and then more than you probably want. Sorry I can't comment on the Moses necks, though.