Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless guilt?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by xyllion, Apr 2, 2003.

1. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Ok, I've been so into playing my new Electroline fretless that I have bringing to band practice. As much as I enjoy playing it, I feel that on many of our songs I would play better on my fretted bass. Nobody is complaining, but I just wonder if I'm being a jerk playing fretless at practices. There are some of the songs that I would like to play fretless, but some of the songs would be easier for me to play fretted.

What do you guys think? Any of you go through a similar situation?

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Could you take fretted and fretless basses to the rehearsals and use the right one for each song?

It might also be worth recording a couple of rehearsals, especially if you can try the same song with fretted and fretless. Listen particularly for your intonation - if you're often out of tune it might be best to develop those chops in 'the woodshed' before inflicting them on your bandmates ;)

Wulf

3. Anything is easier to play on fretted than fretless!! Fretless requires extreme concentration. As Wulf said, tape yourself to check your intonation. Anyone can play fretless in their bedroom, but not many can play it in a band situation.

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I don't know... I'd guess that really fretless sounding stuff would be easier to pull off on fretless (duh! - I mean things like smooth glissandos, just tempered intervals, etc).

:D

Wulf