Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless guitar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by frankencow150, Dec 23, 2001.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    has this ever been done?how does it sound?

2. Yes, it's been done, for both acoustic and electric guitars. I've played one or two--as you might guess, chords are pretty tough!

Mike

3. i2k

i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Indonesia
    Adrian Belew of King Crimson played fretless guitars on 80's Crimson album (I forget which one)....it sounds as strange as Crimson music.

4. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Greetings & Felicitations,
    There is a French luthier named Vigier that makes fretless guitars and basses, the fretboards are made of brass! A friend of mine is endorsed by them and plays both fretted & fretless guitars by them, very nice instruments. I have played the fretless & it's a handful(earful), there web address is www.vigierguitars.com.

ciao,
    Belial

"Whose chopper is it anyway... Zed's baby, Zed's dead..."

5. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i visited the V booth at the 2001 NAMM show.

RON THAL was there....F**K!!! amazing guitarist...i'm a big fan!!!!

some kind of copper fretless fongerboard!!!

fred

6. doesn't the dude from cheap trick have one?

7. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Yes indeed,
    Ron "IS" the man! I didn't want to mention names but he is a phenomenal person above being the same as a musician! He engineered my bands last 2 albums (EVOKEN.com) & is a legend/master in this time! He's probably the only person who can play that fretless like that including Satriani & Vai. Total undiscovered talent! I only wish him the best, cheers Ron!

ciao,
    The Devil

8. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Yes indeed,
    Ron "IS" the man! I didn't want to mention names but he is a phenomenal person above being the same as a musician! He engineered my bands last 2 albums (EVOKEN.com) & is a legend/master in this time! He's probably the only person who can play that fretless like that including Satriani & Vai. Total undiscovered talent! I only wish him the best, cheers Ron! By the way, to check out his band & music, Bumblefoot.com.

ciao,
    The Devil

9. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    blue tongue

brooklyn steakhouse

i can't play the bloooooooooz

on and on....nice guy too.

fred

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Funny, I just noticed a fretless guitar (7-string) on Ebay today. $$$ expensive custom job however.

A few friends have mine have been buying cheapo Kramers from MusicYo so they could abuse them, including ripping the frets out. I haven't witnessed the playing of them personally, but they say it is "fun".

I find intonation on a fretless bass hard enough!

Godin has a new 11-string (12-string but the lowest isn't doubled) fretless guitar out called the Glissentar. What I've seen of it up close is pretty cool, but then the guy playing it was pretty good.

Is all the guitar playing on that Bumblefoot stuff fretless? That's pretty sick.

I think Adrian used the fretless on "Dig Me" from Three of a Perfect Pair. Quite possibly some of the others too, but that's the one I remember. Not my favorite track from that album though, so I haven't listened to it in a while.

Pat Metheny plays fretless acoustic, too. The first track on Imaginary Day is a good example.

11. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    That fretless guitar site has the most addictive feature in that fretless simulator. VERY COOL! Now, EVERYONE can be a DJ...kinda. Well, not really.

12. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    "Dig Me" off of three of a perfect pair is fretless guitar

AJ

13. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    There's a growing number of fretless guitarists out there - I play in a trio with Franck Vigroux, a very fine french fretless guitarist (see my website for pictures of this trio, hopefully we'll have some sound samples up there soon...) also worth checking out are Ned Evett ( site owner of www.fretlessguitar.com and a fine fine musician) Yan Vagh (fretless acoustic guitarist), Aziz Ibrahim - plays a Godin Glissantar, and also plays 'ordinary guitar' for Ian Brown...

There's a fine compilation album out that features a lot of the guitarist mentioned in this thread, including all of my suggestions as well as Ron Thall, Stephen James Taylor, and others called 'Fretless Guitar Masters vol 1' - you'll find it at www.fretlessguitar.com - well worth getting!

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I remember Hamer giving one to Andy Summers back in the early '80's, and he said that he hated it. It was VERY confusing for him.

15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Nothing to do with basses................

16. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Ron played the fretless guitar on "Smile" on our All We Want is Fun CD. He also engineered that CD for us. The man is unbelievable, we just said "Ron, do something with the fretless on this, he plugged it in, one take, beautiful, beautiful music. If ya wanna hear great fretless guitar you can buy our CD :D at our website below, or maybe I'll turn it into an mp3 and post it.

17. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    If anyone wants to 'play around' with one, Rondo Music (the guys of Essex fame) sell fretless guitars real cheap.

18. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Pat Martino played fretless guitar while he was studying Indian(Hindustani) music.

19. i defretted and customized a strat once.
    sounds cool. i'll give it to you for twenty bucks.:D