Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless harmonics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fenderboy, Sep 16, 2002.

1. fenderboy

fenderboy

Jun 21, 2002
    Hey, ive never tried to do harmonics on a fretless, but since you dont have frets is it possible because, well i think it is because jaco had a fretless and used harmonics alot but, i might be wrong. Can someone feel me in?

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    it is very much possible...to play natural hormonics you don't actually fret a note...you place your finger lightly on the string and pluck it.

and oh yeah, this belongs in technique....not basses, sir

3. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Another cool thing about doing harmonics on a fretless is that when you do a natural harmonic, you can then push the string down onto the fingerboard and slide the harmonic up or down.
    I learned this one from Percy Jones about 20 years ago.

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Jaco also played "false harmonics" where you fret a note and pluck the string while damping it (at the mid-point between fret and bridge) with the thumb of your plucking hand. That way you can play all notes with a "harmonics sound" and bend the notes too. If I remember correctly he did this on Birdland (Weather Report).