1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretless: Have it your way, with or without sauce

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by avid, Oct 18, 2006.

1. [b]VARNISH[/b] My middle name is Jaco. Give me spar [b]varnish[/b] thick enough to cover a dime.

49 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. [b]NATURAL[/b] What? You'd cover that gorgeous wood tone with plastic. Give it to me [b]natural[/b].

111 vote(s)
    69.4%
  1. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    I have seen threads about treated versus untreated Fretless but I have never seen anyone take a poll to see how the opinions break out. Let's find out!

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I love a good epoxy job!

3. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    if its Ebony then il have it natural, if its rosewood or maple then id finish it.

Dave

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    One of each. It really depends on the bass.

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    If it's ebony then I wouldn't touch it, but I love the glossy look of epoxy coating.

Mind you, I love Ebonol/Phenolic boards too!

6. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I vote natural (presumably ebony) but my current fretless is a Zon, so though it has a natural unfinished fingerboard, that board is resin impregnated so it's about as tough as you could want it.

7. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.

I agree here.

8. I am saying natural, but I also have an ebony neck. If I were to use rounds then I might epoxy, but flats don't do much damage even when I dig in.

9. Natural rosewood for me.

10. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I use ebony and morado (pau ferro) fingerboards, both natural ... :cool:

11. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Natural, I like the feel better.

12. Tung oil, baby. Three coats, with sanding, every time I change the strings.

13. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Coated, for two reasons: shiny looks, and potentially greater resilience to roundwounds. I know, some people say rounds and flats wear about equally, but others disagree. If it was just a question of tone, I'd choose un-coated.

14. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    What's the advantage of coating the fingerboard? Especially if you use flatwounds on your fretless bass.

15. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K

if you use flatwounds then some would say none, others would say because of the difference in tone.

i guess it is all subjective, if you like using flatwounds and like the tone then maybe a coated board is not really for you.

Dave

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've had several without and one with a thick polyester coating.

Different sounds. The poly feels great, looks cool (the poly kills quite a bit of the visible grain though), and has a brighter, snappier tone. The natural ebony (and pink ivorywood) feels great, looks cool, and has a warmer tone. Not as protective as poly coated though.

I'd love one of each if I had the dough.

17. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I've had both. Current fretless is "phenowood" and I love it; previous one was natural and I loved it...really depends on the look/sound of the bass.

Marshall

18. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'll probably always go with coated, cuz that's just how I am.

19. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    My preferences are ebony, natural, roundwounds. I just love the feel of it. Of course, I've never owned a finished board, tho my friend had a Buzz bass and I tried that a few times.