Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bass_Machine, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    I got my first fretless yesterday and It seems playability is a little worse today, after putting on my flatwounds. I think some of the problem may be with the action, I would like a nice low action for speed and but I don't want to choke the notes. What sorta string height would you guys recommend, and how would I be measuring this?

2. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    The reason the action has changes is probably the difference in string tension and/or gauge. This is fixed by: adjusting the trussrod to the tolerance suggested by the bass maker, however, their specs hardly ever deal with fretless. I prefer my trussy nearly flat, with a little less than a credit card of relief at the 8th fret (holding first and last "frets" down). For the string height, go to the bass makers standard measurement (they should tell you how much and were to measure and with what), and lower bit by bit until the sound is achieved.
    Another note; if they are flats, the mwah will be a lil less...
    Hope i helped, and good luck. :)