Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jbennardo, Aug 11, 2005.

1. I'm looking for brands/suggestions/styles of good fretless basses. Some background - I'm a big fan of G&L but not so much Fender. Perhaps I just never played a really good Fender due to my own financial limitations. If I were to have one custom built, what type of woods? Pickups? etc.

Any experience or advice is appreciated. :help:

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I just recently bought a Fender Standard Fretless Jazz for 700 new, and it's incredible. Drop in some Barts, and a Badass II bridge and it'll be incredible!

3. Anywhere from $800 - $1500 but more importantly it's just gotta feel right. I love that Jaco tone. It's gotta be smooth, warm.

bwahh bwahh bwahhhhhh

:bassist:

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a '72 fender fretless P with a maple board that's real nice.
    I also have an '81 G&L 2000E fretless with an ebony board that's even nicer, mostly just because of the wider range of tones it can throw down.
    Lastly, I have a Bryce Douglass J5 fretless that I threw bart's in, and with proper strings and some setup time, it's a very respectable instrument...

There was a real nice looking G&L fretless 5 on ebay a couple days ago that did not sell...

5. that must be yours???? :D
    maybe I'll check it out...

All good suggestions.... I'm hearing a lot about Barts. Sounds like those are the pickups of choice.

My current fretted 4 was custom made (not for me) and he used L-2000 pickups in it. At the time I wanted to get back into a G&L and wasn't having much luck. This was the next best thing. Good build and wood with G&L pickups.

6. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    "must be yours"

I wish, it was suuuhweeeet!

7. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    You might want to check out Planet Boulder's Brice 5 that he has in the For Sale section:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195609

I just saw the ad for it ....... those Brice 5's are really great buys for cheapo $$ ..... IIRC, they're not available anymore :cool:

8. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Same model as mine...mine's metallic blue with an ebouny board. Very nice piece for the price, and easily "fender made in mexico" quality.
    Throw another $150 on aftermarket pups of your choice, and have a ~$700 bass for $350...

9. I'm very interested and just starting out on fretless play. I know people here generally take care of their equipment so it would be a great place to get items.

Throw a set of barts in it?????

10. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Bartolini are an aftermarket pickup manufacturer. The stock Bryce pickups are perfectly acceptable, but the biggest "tone for the buck" mod to do to this bass is put "real" pickups in it.

As I said, the stock ones are perfectly workable...I mostly switched to barts 'cause there was a set for real cheap in the classfieds here and I couldn't help myself...

some info
    http://www.bartolini.net/information/bass/new_bass_pu_s5.htm

11. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I'd talk to Planet Boulder about the pups that are in the bass, he seems like a pretty informed cat and will probably give you the straight story ...... but like Chef said, the barts are cool ... :cool: