Fretless helps overall technique!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by dabass, Feb 25, 2006.

1. dabass

dabass Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Just wondering if players out there agree that fretless playing helps you develop better technique and overall "skill" on the instrument. I find playing my fretless more forces me to really "slow" down an "listen" more carefully (intonation is everything). I've found that my ear and touch have improved tremendously since playing more fretless. Try playing nothing but your fretless for a few weeks and let me know what you think!
  2. skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    I do believe that fretless has made me more sensitive to the instrument as far as how much technique dictates tone and feeling. Without a doubt, playing on fretless has forced me to clean up my left-hand technique, and I'm sure that two years of playing cello and one summer of Youth Symphony helped me with vibrato. :)
  3. mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    i agree with my right hand everything is pretty much the same, but my left hand i have to be more carefull where i fret it.
  4. antonh

Feb 27, 2006
    Ireland - Belfast
    ive always wanted to play a 5 string fretless,....if i dont soon im goina explode! anyone got any advice on a good fretless bass?
  5. ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    I recently picked up a fretless and have definitely found that I have also had to clean up my left hand technique. I also am at this point only maintaining about a 60% accuracy with regards to intonation but hope that will improve with time and practice, but then again I suppose that is the nature of loving it to death though

(now all I need is a custom 6er fretless.........)