Fretless High-C 5 Set?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by boogiebass, Jan 5, 2001.

1. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    OK, guys, what do you recommend for a fretless 5 string set up EADGC? Need something that won't eat up the ebony fingerboard, of course, but still want that good top end. Pretty expensive using 6 string sets and discarding the B's! Thanks.
  2. Lance Jaegan

Lance Jaegan

Dec 23, 2000
    Well, if you want the "mwah" you're gonna have to use round-wounds, and I think nickel strings will eat up your fingerboard slightly less than steel strings. Nickels are a little less bright though. You can buy single strings from lots of places, rather than buying sets.
  3. If you do a little reasearch at your local music store you can find out what single strings are available. then look for string sales buy a couple of 4 string sets and order the matching (aprox, .030") string in that brand. I do this for my seven string I usually order about six each of the smaller strings. They are only about 2 or 3 dollars for a "C" string. I use D'Addario XL's. Some flat wound sets go down to about the 30's can't remember which ones. The next set for my fretless will be ground wounds.
  4. notduane

Nov 24, 2000