Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fretless Hofner-type bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Monkey, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I just ordered a Rogue Violin bass. I love deep bottom end, and one of my favorite bass players, Robbie Shakespeare, used to play killer reggae on a Hofner. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with a fretless Hofner or clone? I've defretted a few instruments over the years, so that wouldn't be a problem, but I wonder if it would sound good.

2. I played a fretless Univox Hofner clone a few years back and liked the tone a lot. It'd be amazing for dub.

3. Hows about a a move to basses?? :p

:D:D

Merls

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I guess the Rogue is pretty cheap. Why not defret it yourself? It's easy.

5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Peter, thanks for the info. I'm looking for a good dub bass. I'll have to see how it sound when I get it. I like playing fretless so much more than fretted, so I'll probably rip the frets out.

JMX, the bass was $229 from Musician's Phlegm. I have read a lot of good reviews of the Violin bass, although everything else Rogue makes seems to be hated by almost everybody. I guess Gabu has had a good experience with an ABG.

Thanks again, guys!