Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Ibanez BTB405 (or Toby Pro 5)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eyescream, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm starting to lust after having a fretless 5 string. After reading so many good things about the BTB series basses from Ibanez, I thought that one of those would be nice to have; but I've searched here and looked around on the net, and I can't really find any concrete information as to whether they can be had fretless from the factory or not.

Can one get a fretless Ibanez BTB405 from the factory, or is it something that you'd have to do yourself (I'd really rather not, as I'd rather have an unlined fretless and don't want to screw up the fingerboard in any case)?

As an alternative, if I can't find one (and from what I've read and been told thus far it ain't happening), what do you guys think about the Tobias Toby Pro 5 fretless from musicyo.com? I've read in searches here that the electronics are weak as far as output volume, and that doesn't really bother me overmuch because that can always be upgraded. I'm more concerned about quality of construction and playability. I've read a few old threads here that indicate that, for the most part, they're good lower-price-range instruments and the electronics aren't bad, they're just not loud. I'm posting this in the hopes that someone might have tried one recently and wants to post their impressions of it.

Thanks guys.

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    You can't get a fretless BTB405 from the factory, that'd have to be an at-home or in-store job.

3. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    But I think I saw their EDA composite model as a fretless version somewhere, but maybe it was a custom job. I saw once heer in Portugal the weirdest Ibanez too: it was a chambered soundgear , very much like the jerzy drozd legend bass, unlined fretless 5 string, gold harware, to this day Idon't know where tha hell did it come from, it only stayed in the store for about 2 weeks, and I never saw it again.. :crying:

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The EDA700F and 705F are both advertised on their site. The only factory fretlesses are, in fact, advertised on the site.

5. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I was afraid of that. :D Okay, that option's out, cause I don't want want to have to jerk the frets out of an instrument.

Be a while before I can get one anyway, so I got time to look and save money and maybe get something really nice.

Thanks, all.