Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless in metal

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Weasel, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Weasel

Weasel

Feb 18, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    There has been a few topics about how fretless works in metal. I have one example for you.

Go to www.sonicmind.info and download "Reflections" (the page is temporarely only in finnish, but the download link is on the first page and highlighted, so unless you´re blind you´ll find it) whole chorus is played with Pedulla Buzz. Verse was played with Warwick FNA Jazzman 5 if someone wants to know.

But check it out, I think the fretless works nicely with the "guitar wall". Any opinions?

2. i didnt like the way that it sounded,i love the sound of a pedulla,played many,and i've never put the bass up as low as that.but i would never have guessed it was a fertless at first,it did work with the song,just not with my taste

another fretless player is the bass plyer from testament,he is a pretty fast player.

3. soontobedead

soontobedead

Jul 14, 2005
    - sean malone of cynic and self titled project (though the latter is a much more experimental affair)

- jeroen paul thesseling played on pestilence's spheres album... he also has flamenco bass work with a dutch flamenco gu*tar player named "el periquin"

- Tyr's fretless work on Borknagar's Empiricism is absolutely beautiful (for a lack of a better term)

- Steve Digiorgio, who is one of the artists with most projects i've ever heard of (next to gene hoglan and dan swäno :bassist: ) plays awesome fretless in testament's the gathering and quo vadis' defiant imagination (i can't stress this enough: GET THIS ALBUM!!!!)

4. doormatt

doormatt

Apr 8, 2005
  5. Weasel

Weasel

Feb 18, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    One of the things I like in Pedulla is the control you have over the sound. It´s up to player if he wants that growl or not.

It´s always hard to find good balance with distorted guitars and bass, and even more difficult when it comes to fretless but I think that our sound-engineerer managed to do it well.