fretless inlays

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kovachian, Nov 7, 2005.

1. kovachian

Nov 5, 2005
    I was wondering, are there any fretlesses out there with big fancy inlays? Considering the fingerboard has more intimate contact with the strings I'm not sure if typical inlay matrerials could stand up to it. I was thinking if I used nothing but wood for the inlay, it wouldn't be any problem. I can't recall seeing anything like this so maybe this is for a good reason?
  2. Jerzy Drozd has also done some. I dont know if there any pictures of fretless basses with inlays on the site, but I know Ive seen atleast two or three of them.
  3. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Here is what Alembic says about fretless inlays,

"On a fretless bass, we recommend no inlays, since as you slide over different materials, the tone changes"
  4. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX

The difference in tone is slight, but it is there.

I would advise that any fretless with inlays should have a polyester or epoxy coating over the entire fretboard, inlays and all, in order to assure consistent tone and "mwah".
  5. kovachian

Nov 5, 2005
    Cool. Well now I know not to get inlays on my fretless. I figured it wasn't more common for a good reason.
  6. Um, You could still have inlays. You'll just need epoxy. Or just use woods for the inlays that have a similar tone to the original fingerboard wood. I wouldnt shut out getting a inlayed fretless all together. :eyebrow: :smug:
  7. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    This one? Nice fretless with a somewhat fancy inlay - not too wild, very tasty.