fretless intonation.... drawing the line!?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by reddog, Jul 2, 2018.

1. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Excellent quote...

2. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Owner, John Fox Bass Inactive Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Dealer for Adamovic, Alleva-Coppolo, Bergantino, Dingwall, Richter, Skjold
    Every once in a great while, I find myself wishing that the Like button would let me click it more than once. This is one of those times.

reddog, Matthew_84 and Whippet like this.
  3. xnewyorka

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    We have had some great conversations on this thread. But to address your exact original question, I have two possible suggestions. One is to use Scotch tape on the fingerboard and draw your lines on the tape instead of on the bass. You could use Sharpie or a pencil, and take it off when you realize you no longer need it. Whatever you write with may also end up on your strings and or your fingers.
    The other is to put a piece of Scotch tape along the side of the fingerboard and put dots at the fret marks using white out. If you already have white dots at the standard positions where they would be on a fretted bass (in between the fret lines), then use a different color for for marking the fret lines, such as a gold glitter pen.

reddog likes this.
  4. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    :)Put scotch tape fingerboard and draw lines.....yea, that would be the most foolish you could do, because the original lines will never do the bad for you.

reddog likes this.
  5. reddog

reddog Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Philly burbs
    Hi... OP, here.
    Just got back in town and actually have time to read the postings.
    Thanks.. everyone.. for the inspiration and perspectives.

Been a good read.
    Keep it coming!

Tom Bomb and Matthew_84 like this.
  6. xnewyorka

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Philly 'burbs? Are you going to see Foo Fighters tomorrow night at BB&T Pavilion in Camden? Resale tix are available.

7. reddog

reddog Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Philly burbs
    wont be there... got to see 2 concerts in the last week.. cant complain

8. On my fretless wishbass, I have marked the sides of the strings - not the fretboard - with a marker. I don't play fretless that much, so it helps me get back to that mindset when I pick it up. (Also useful if you are suspicious of equal temperament.)

9. xnewyorka

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    I wasn't sure if any of my posts were among those you were referring to, but I saw this post and thought it sounded like an interesting challenge. I wasn't familiar with the tune Billie's Bounce, but I found the sheet music online and gave it a go. It certainly is a challenge! I didn't have a blindfold, but once I learn the piece, I'll certainly give that a try! :) I'm interested to hear any and all observations or suggestions for specific things I should work on to improve. It was great to take out the old Guild - I hadn't played this bass since the early 90's!

mmon77 and MVE like this.
  10. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Well played! And nicely done. Only next thing would be to figure out some nice solo phrases. Hint: Parker’s transcription shows some of his ideas, and “borrowing” is allowed in bop, as long as you make it your own.

My ONLY point was to use that piece as an example of intermediate difficulty, which required at least one significant shift up the neck; said shift being most logically executed by looking at a relevant position mark. In your case, a dot on the edge of the fingerboard.

Can you shed and shed and hit that particular shift with a blindfold on? Possibly; but, that would be missing the point. At least my point. Because, while you might get that particular shift to work for you blindfolded, now translate that to the gig, where you are reading down three sets from a 4 binders with 400+ tunes you are responsible for covering.

And if you get to point that you are hitting all those shifts all night long blindfolded; then, I tip my hat to you. But, at that point, I would consider you closer to a master player than to a newbie. Which was the point of the thread to begin with.:thumbsup:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    Fredrik E. Nilsen likes this.
  11. reddog

reddog Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Philly burbs
    Well played.
    As I'm playing some easier work, it is interesting.. this need with fretless to "mind" or "respect" the note.
    Seems so much more organic.
    Kind of funny, too... some of what I'm playing sounds like some kind of horn.

12. greatbassguitar

greatbassguitar

Mar 10, 2011
    I painted dots on the side of one of my basses with acrylic paint exactly where the frets would be. I have played fretless for 35 years but the dots immediately helped me play in tune better. I also use a very wide vibrato so nobody knows where the correct pitch is!

13. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    I guess travel.to London is out of the question right now, but an update on the daughter is she, alongside 'cello, started on double bass around the time you posted this. Just last week she was offered places to study classical double bass at the Royal Academy, Royal College and Guildhall, and to study 'cello at Trinity Laben. So I guess we've all done something right!
    Seasons greetings. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    12BitSlab and thmsjordan like this.
  14. thmsjordan

thmsjordan

Jan 10, 2010
    Eschew Obfuscation
    Wow, that is incredible. Congrats and best of luck with her studies. Happy Christmas !!

SteveCS likes this.
  15. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    It's more of a relief than anything else. The audition process was very odd this year - all on video submission and 'zoom' interviews. Because there were no aural or sight-reading elements the number of audition pieces was upped from 3 to 4, plus additional etudes and excerpts. Fortunately we were able to record some of the solo elements at home. But it's been a real silver lining to an othewise frustrating year. Hopefully, by the time she graduates, music and the arts will be back to some level of viability.

thmsjordan and Tom Bomb like this.
  16. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    If you do want to make some reference marks on the fingerboard, use a pencil so you can rub it off eventually when you don't need it anymore. You don't need to mark all over the neck, just on important landmarks like the 12th fret. But if you have dots already then really no need IMO. Like others have said though, you need to ultimately use your ears for good intonation, but to me having a temporary visual marker can be nice to get you started.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021