1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretless intonation vs orientation (Takamine TB10)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ficelles, Apr 10, 2021.

1. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Interesting intonation experiences with my Takamine TB10 - unlined 34" scale fretless with no side dots. In my opinion more difficult for intonation than cello or db due to the long neck without the heel giving you the 5th position physical reference; in fact the heel position is 9th.

But what I find weird is that it is easier to play in tune on the end pin i.e. upright than horizontally, maybe because I play cello and a little db or maybe it's the thing of not being able to look at it so you just do it by ear. Anyone else experience this orientational intonational inconsistialityness?

Fbg though is always a challenge due to neck length and no physical reference points, even though I've been playing unlined 34" fretless for decades muscle memory doesn't always work. Fretless on a dark stage with no monitoring...

2. I had a B10 and loved it. So much easier to play in tune vertically up to where 7th “fret” would be. Intonation fiddly above that.

I sold it because I found I had better intonation on my Rob Allen Mouse (plus the Mouse suited the Big Band better).

3. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Why not just put some sidedots on your B10? It’s no shame and makes sense when playing it in BG position.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021