Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless, is a fender jazz the only option?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gingerfish, May 20, 2004.

1. I live over in the UK and have been playin bass for a couple of years and want to expand my bass collection, i recently played a custom fender jazz fretless that had the smoothest neck i've ever played and was sooo easy to play so i was wonderin if there was any other basses that are widely available for not too much money that would play as easily(fret markers a must)

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Less than a new American jazz maybe. A used Warwick Corvette will still run you about $500 -$600 (American money)

3. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    How much money is too much? I heard that there are VERY good VERY cheap luthiers In the UK area.

4. Not sure if you have Spectors over there, but the Spectorcores are nice. Nice warm sound, with a little bit of bite from the piezos in the bridge. Set me back $550 USD. Fretlines, active eq.

5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    My two Fav's.
    Fretless P-Bass
    Fretless Musicman

6. This was made in the UK it wasn't cheap but it has the fretmarkings you require :bassist:

7. Can you buy fretless pbass' or do u have to get them alterted?

8. Does anyone have any details on fretless p-basses then please?

9. I have a 1971 Fretless P (see link below). The neck is almost an 'A' width, and smooth as smooth can be. The rosewood board is beautiful.

It's my #1 bass now. It sounds totally different to a fretless J - forget about trying to sound like Jaco. This is old-school thump with just the right amount of mwaah if needed.

Many of the used P's that come up have been modded with a J pickup. I can't see the point... why not buy a J?

My '71 Fretless 'P