Fretless is kinda sorta done

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bardolph, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I have prematurely assembled my fretless so I can play it and get the feel for it. It still needs some sanding and a finish and I'm putting mylar on the fretboard. As far as the sound... wow. This thing has got some balls. I will post soundclips asap, and I mean it :D .
  2. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I like it. That upper horn kinda reminds me of a parker.
  3. It's like, if a bongo and an F bass did it.
  4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002

I love the wee l'il newborn. Great job!
  5. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Yeah, that was my first thought too, the top horn is very Bongo-esque in a good way. Looks pretty sweet man, congrats!
  6. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Math has never been so much fun.
  7. looks great,really digging the Headstock!
  8. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    That looks really nice.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but how much did making your own bass cost you? And what parts did you make yourself, and which parts did you just order?

PM me if you want.
  9. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I'll tell you right here. I'm lucky for two reasons: 1- My dad knows some people. 2- My dad owns a music store. One of the people works in the furniture business and the other builds guitars. Between the two of them I got all the wood for free (with the exception of the fretboard from and all the gluing and complicated cuts were done for me. My dad ordered all the hardware from allparts and the pickups right from SD. He gets a really good price since he's a dealer. The part I actually did myself was the shaping of the neck and contouring the body with a file and sandpaper. My dad made the nut out of graphite. To be honest, I don't know if I even spent much more than $300 total for this bass.
  10. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Whoa, +1.

Bass looks great btw. Lookin' forward to the soundclips :smug:
  11. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Great looking bass!
    Really nice shape on the body.
  12. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    lovely.. reminds me a lot of overwater basses. Might want to add it to your equation!!
  13. Tfunked

Dec 30, 2003
    Need a Conklin in there for the headstock.
  14. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Well that certainly is cool. Congrats on a job well done.