Fretless is WONDERFULL!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JFT, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Hi guys,

I just got my first fretless, an ATK and WOW I'm in heaven. I didn't thought fretless was THAT fun.

I feel like I'm cheating however since the fingerboard is lined ;)

A question though I'm hearing a lot of MWAH on the D and G strings but not a lot on the low E and A is this normal? If not how can I remedy to it? The action is quite low and the bass appears really well setup.

2. Congrats!!!

You are braved than I,Mr. J!!
    Always wanted to try fretless but am a bit skittish.
    I would`nt call having a lined fretless cheating at least not starting out. :)

What kind of strings are you using on her?
  3. Did you buy it new or it was defretted by a previous owner?

I never heard or read about a fretless Atk before..

I might be getting a fretless too soon..:D
  4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    fretless ATK??

you need a picture to back that up mister!

5. Congrats, bro.

My fingers sure like the feel of the strings on wood on a fretless compared to the feel of pushing a string onto a metal fret.

And that sound...

6. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Welcome to the world of fretless, man! You won't wanna go back to fretted!

As for the mwah issue, technique is the biggest factor. You can get mwah on all the strings, it's a matter of developing the technique. Practice!
  7. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Well, of course it is wonderful!
    What took you so long to find out?;)
  8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Welcome to the fretless fold. It's nice isn't it.

Please post pics if you can.

With the prices that is asking for fretless basses from Essex and Brice, anyone who is interested should pick one up.
  9. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I'll never go back, I hate the feel of metal on metal.
    Lines or no lines aren't really an issue as long as the side dots are easy to see.
  10. Thanks all,

Usul, the previous owner put Hi-Beam light on it from what I guess they are new and the sounds isn't bad so I'll keep them for a month or 2...

The bass was not new (nor defretted). It's an ATK 300 FL the previous owner got it about 5 years ago. If you look on harmony-central there's some review the ATK 300 FL. The good part is that the guy only used it in studio so the bass is in very good shape. Even standing just beside it looks like new. What's more I got it for 400$ Can (roughly 250$ Us ) :D

Hey Suburban I don't think you could say I waited too long ;) I started bass only 7 months ago :p

Moley any Q as for technique trick? The feel of fretless is amazing!!! I sure think I'm hook for life :cool:

I'll be posting picts tonight!
  11. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Which is minimum 8 months tooo long! :p :p :D
    Keep it up, bro!
  12. And that's exactly what I plan on doing...once I get my tax return of course. :cool:
  13. I've discovered that TI JR344 strings are wonderful for fretless. I have a friend with an ATK fretless, and it's a very good instrument.
  14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I agree, the TIJR344 are great fretless strings.
    I also have a set of TI 346 on my six string.
    Stay fretless.
  15. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    Mine should be finished in 2 months......:( :(
  16. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Congrats and good luck
  17. I have been thinking about a fretless, but I've never gotten a chance to play one...after reading this thread I really want one, but want to be able to play it first, so I'd rather not buy on-line, and doubt I can find one in a store...

maybe I will start really looking for one and see if any stores can get any for me without me having to pay

oh, and thanks guys...I just bought a new 4-string (2 week ends ago) and was happy, but now I really want a fretless
  18. Hi Solmnia,

If you're intimidated by the fretless just get a lined one. It really helps although it's weird since you have to finger the line and not behind it (like a fret).

Marty & Mojo: Thanks for the hint on strings I look forward trying those. Now if I could only find a TI dealer in town @$#@!

I'll post pic as soon as I get my camera back.

Fretless is indeed wonderfull I barely touch my BTB now...
  19. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    You can find TI-strings online. is a dealer.
    If you do buy fretless, go unlined play with your ear, not your eyes.
  20. I just checked out and am thinking of one of these:
    SX - BG-205 Fretless list 350 sale 179.95
    Brice - V2 5 String Fretless list 300 sale 249.99
    Brice - V2 4 String Fretless Red list 290 sale 229.95

the site says that the sx bg 205 plays really nice and that is something that I want. Also from the price it seems that is the way to go, so I will probably get that...

any imput on either the Brice V2s or the SX BG-205 would be much apprieciated