1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretless J-Bass pup question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by xThreatBassistx, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Ive been playing bass for a year now, and ive been playing my fretless jazz bass for almost half a year.

Its a great bass, but the sound i get from it is never exactly what i want. It still has it's stock pickups.

I play through a Hartke A100 but i used to play through my Dad's Acoustic 2 Channel Amp through a monitor speaker. Both offer slightly different sounds

To cut to the chase im looking for some pickups that will give me a very harty low end, not too over powering, but there, with nice growl and still keep alot of tone, without it getting eaten up by bass freqs.

I also play fingerstyle right up on the neck, similar to Geezer Butler or Entwhistle, so that also kinda changes the sound i get

So does anyone have any ideas on what kind of pickups i should replace these with that would give me everything i want

Thanks in advance ;)

2. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    Dimarzio Model J's and roundwound strings.

3. Before spending $ on pickups and possibly a pre-amp, I'd suggest expanding your technique. Plucking at the neck joint is fine, but will not get a very wide range of tones, no matter what you do with the electronics.

4. Well yeah the position i play in is fairly unforgiving, but i also play over the pickup as well

Well i either just pluck or thump the string against the wood, kinda like how geezer plays
    it gives a fair amount of speed too

Also i was just wonder if it was just the fact that its the stock pickups and that i should upgrade just to something close, but better

As to Mr. Ray I have been eyeing those sam pickups, but as for flatwound strings I am strictly a roundwound guy

I know the "right" way to play a fretless would be with roundwound, but they just arent for me. They came stock on the bass when i bought it and they were too quiet for me and held almost no sustain. Plus my fingers didnt slide very well on them, they would kinda get 'stuck' or caught up on them. Too uncomfortable

Im not one to do things by the "usual" method anyway :p