1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretless J Bass with HG Thor treated (epoxy) coated fingerboard

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BK bassist, Jun 2, 2017.

1. BK bassist

BK bassist Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey all,

I recently bought a used MIA Jazz bass and what attracted me to the bass was that the previous owner had an HG Thor epoxy coating done on the neck. I had been thinking about getting this done on another fretless J bass that I own but the wait to have HG Thor do the treatment is currently 4 YEARS OUT!!! ... that's crazy.

Anyway, I was so psyched to open the box and plug her in and when I did, the sound of the strings was super dull and lifeless, what a bummer. To the best of my knowledge it feels like they are tapewound strings ... I don't know how old they are as I don't have much experience with tapewounds.

Do any of you have experience with Epoxy coated necks on a Jazz bass configuration? I'd like to know what kind of strings you all use to get a really bright "mwah" .... like a Mark Egan Pedulla Pentabuzz mwah .... I was hoping this would give me a poor man's pentabuzz sound.

I've read that roundwounds will eat up the fretboard but I'd think that would take a long time and some pretty aggressive playing. I don't play any one bass for a long period of time so I'm not so worried about doing any devastating damage to the finish.

What strings would you recommend for a killer mwah and at the same time a deep Stingray'esque growl?

Thanks in advance for the advice ....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Get rounds and don't worry. Fingerboard wear is an overstated problem and a good epoxy coat like HG Thor's makes it even more of a non-issue.
    Nickel roundwounds are the diet for me, and I think they'll get you what you want.
    Slap a set of DR Sunbeams on that puppy and don't look back.

BK bassist likes this.
  3. BK bassist

BK bassist Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    That's the response I was hoping for, thanks bro.

4. JRA

JRA where did the time go? Supporting Member

^^^ good for you!

^^^ = that's the ticket!

:thumbsup:

trying to avoid string marks on a fretless FB is an overrated, counter-productive effort = doomed to fail for folks who really play fretless! IMO.

BK bassist likes this.