Fretless J or P?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaracasBass, Jul 2, 2005.

SX fretless: P or J?

Poll closed Jul 9, 2005.
  1. Fretless P-bass

12 vote(s)
  2. Fretless J-bass

72 vote(s)
  3. Fretless carrots!!

34 vote(s)
  1. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Imagine you want to buy a SX fretless bass. Would you choose a J or a P, why?

I know Jaco played a fretless J, but why not a fretless P?
  2. because its a different sound?

( different body shape and neck too, altho jaco used a P bass neck on a J body )
  3. Paul182

May 18, 2005
    I don't think Fender do fretless Precisions. I'm getting an SX but I still haven't decided either.
  4. doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    carrots got my vote...i say go with a fretless jazz tho... :hyper:
  5. Paul182

May 18, 2005
    Looks like tis gonna be carrots
  6. I have a custom fretless P and I love it. It has a thin, Jazz style neck, but a P body and pickup. The sound and tone is great. It's a very fun instrument to play. I voted for fretless J because I don't have one.

No matter what pickup configuration, it's not going to sound good until you get your intonation right.
  7. where can i get an SX fretless carrot? i cant seem to find them on ebay

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Recently played a '77 P fretless with a maple board, liked it.

Owned an 80's MIA fretless J, LOVED it...

The J had way more versatility & mids/highs when using the bridge p/u & could do what the P did easily with both p/u's wide open & than some...

PS: Shoulda never sold the J...
  9. I'd recommend the J-fretless just for the bridge pickup. Tried a fretless Warwick at GC the other day, and with the pickups set about 20/80 in favor of the bridge, and the tone rolled down, I got a kickass upright sound. Perfectly thin, deep, and bouncy

There's no question that the exotic woods and MEC pickups on the 'Wick had plenty to do with getting that sound, But still, I stand by my decision. You gotta be able to get close with a Bridge PU, your favorite rig, and some tweaking...........right?
  10. I said carrots, i want my fretless carrots. dont change the subject with warwick
  11. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Id go the J...

Personal Preference of course :)
  12. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Thanx for all your replies!!! I know a fretless J would cover any gig, but a fretless P with maple fretboard looks so nice that I can´t get it out of my toughts. :bassist:
  13. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I had an SX fretless P with a maple fingerboard. It was quite nice, im not a fan of the really nasal fretless tone of some jazzes, i like fretless PJs and Ps a littlemore and mine sounded great.
  14. i tend to find j bridge pickups pretty thin. so you probably wouldnt use that pickup for fretless anyway. i donno, j pickups are pretty thin in general. my old jazz bass turned into a double j bass..... two double j humbuckers. i like it a lot better. so the p would get me.... but i like j necks better and j shapes better. hmm you should hit up a j and get a p pickup for neck and get this pickguard now thats hot.
  15. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Fretless P's take some time to get used to and a they're not that well liked strangely. I personally love P-basses but can't get used to a fretless P. They're a strange beast for sure, but if you like it, take it and run!
  16. do fretless SX basses have any "mwahhh"
  17. RagingPenguin

Jul 3, 2005
    Isn't that an opinion? I mean, some of us may think so...others may not.
  18. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    if you want that mwahh, you have to go with a bridge pickup, a P won't get it- it's a combination of a bridge pup, a good intrument, the string height, eq, and the player's touch- if your right hand is over the fretboard, you get a whole different mwah than if it's by the bridge, this is the beauty of fretless.. and true vibrato, of course.
  19. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    On top of being an opinion, it also depends a lot upon setup and technique

As for adrian , i got a decent amount of muah with my fretless P, so its possible, just nothing compared to a bass wwith a bridge pup.
  20. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Here's my answer.

Attached Files: