Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fretless J possibility

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by McCalister999, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Well, I'm thinking of getting my jazz bass defretted and epoxied, so I can still keep steel strings, but how much with this change my tone? I just looooooove the feel of it, but I'm wondering how much the lack of frets will change my sound.

2. AFlyOnGeddysWal

AFlyOnGeddysWal

Sep 27, 2004
    Orygun
    Well, it will change your sound considerably, also techniques that you can employ on a fretless instrument come into play... Vibrato, mwah growl from the fingerboard, a bit of a deeper tone, etc. Not that you can't emulate a fretted sound in a group setting by not using vibrato, playing lighter, adding a bit of treble, whatever.

Naturally, it's a different animal. I've heard the epoxy will add a little brightness, but I've yet to find out. I'm on my first coat of System 3 mirror coat now, waiting for optimal buff out time, then on to the 2nd coat. You probably won't be able to get a Marcus, or a Stingray tone, at all, but there are other tools for that!