Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fretless J+soapbar

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kheos, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    I'm considering getting a custom fretless 6 string bass
    I'm at the point where I'm still thinking about every option, so nothing is absolutely definite

Allmost no one I heard with two pickups, uses their bass as a two pickup instrument. I mean, allmost everyone sets their bass 50/50. especially with soapbars. So I was thinking: how about if I would have a soapbar in the neck, and a J in the bridge position. how would that work?

anyone has a bass with a J and a soapbar?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

FWIW:

4's not 6's but it would be no different. J and Soap is a shape and not reflective of the contents or tone. You can have a J pup in a Soap housing (ie. EMG). The sound of the pups will depend on the J and soap you choose, fretless or fretted.

3. I believe Nino Valenti made a bass with what you just described. Again, the soapbar is usually just a housing, it really depends what's inside. One thing you may have to do: if the soapbar is a humbucker, a single coil J pickup will buzz. You would need to install a dummy coil in the neck position to eliminate the hum. Search TB to find out more, but it's basically what Lakland does on their MM/J basses. The dummy coil is essentially a reversed magnet (like a neck pickup) that eliminates the hum but doesn't pick up the sound.

4. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    you would be having a problem getting an ordinary sized and shaped j on a 6.

5. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    why is that?

and doesn't bartolini make J's for 6'es?

6. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    bump

what's usualy inside a humbucker? a J? two J's?
    why is it that a J and a humbucker makes a J's buzz?
    will it buzz harder than 2 J's?

7. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I asked Carey Nordstrand to make a 6 string pickup that would fit in the space of a Bartolini X6 pickup. The X6 isn't exactly a J shape, but very close. The screw holes are on the top and bottom of the pickup, rather than the sides.

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

a simplified way to look at a pickup is as a single coil - which is what a traditional J is. A humbucker is two coils with one reverse wound which "bucks" hum. Huncanceling J's take this principal and seperate the coils into two pickups. I haven't consciously messed with it but my guess you would get hum for a traditional single J combined with an HB as it basically functions as a stand alone and would only be quiet with both volumes maxed as occurs with two true (traditional) single J's. I would think a hum-canceling J in the same setup would eliminate the J hum.

Again J, P, HB, MM, etc. only "looses" refers to the shape of the pup. A dimarzio ultra J is no more like a Fender Custom Shop J internally than it is an HB as it is in fact an HB.

9. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    thanks, made things look a lot more 'crystal clear'

does that mean that humcanceling J's looks like a normal dual pu J setup, but that only one actually functions, and the other is just euhm 'reversed' to cancel the hum?

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

HC J's look normal and both of them funtion fully. In my recall a portion of the winding is simply reverse wound to obtain the same effect in a single coil as occurs in an HB pair - in effect (not actuality) making them single coil HB's.