1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fretless J+soapbar

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kheos, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    I'm considering getting a custom fretless 6 string bass
    I'm at the point where I'm still thinking about every option, so nothing is absolutely definite

Allmost no one I heard with two pickups, uses their bass as a two pickup instrument. I mean, allmost everyone sets their bass 50/50. especially with soapbars. So I was thinking: how about if I would have a soapbar in the neck, and a J in the bridge position. how would that work?

anyone has a bass with a J and a soapbar?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

FWIW:

4's not 6's but it would be no different. J and Soap is a shape and not reflective of the contents or tone. You can have a J pup in a Soap housing (ie. EMG). The sound of the pups will depend on the J and soap you choose, fretless or fretted.

3. I believe Nino Valenti made a bass with what you just described. Again, the soapbar is usually just a housing, it really depends what's inside. One thing you may have to do: if the soapbar is a humbucker, a single coil J pickup will buzz. You would need to install a dummy coil in the neck position to eliminate the hum. Search TB to find out more, but it's basically what Lakland does on their MM/J basses. The dummy coil is essentially a reversed magnet (like a neck pickup) that eliminates the hum but doesn't pick up the sound.

4. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    you would be having a problem getting an ordinary sized and shaped j on a 6.

5. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    why is that?

and doesn't bartolini make J's for 6'es?

6. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    bump

what's usualy inside a humbucker? a J? two J's?
    why is it that a J and a humbucker makes a J's buzz?
    will it buzz harder than 2 J's?

7. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I asked Carey Nordstrand to make a 6 string pickup that would fit in the space of a Bartolini X6 pickup. The X6 isn't exactly a J shape, but very close. The screw holes are on the top and bottom of the pickup, rather than the sides.

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

a simplified way to look at a pickup is as a single coil - which is what a traditional J is. A humbucker is two coils with one reverse wound which "bucks" hum. Huncanceling J's take this principal and seperate the coils into two pickups. I haven't consciously messed with it but my guess you would get hum for a traditional single J combined with an HB as it basically functions as a stand alone and would only be quiet with both volumes maxed as occurs with two true (traditional) single J's. I would think a hum-canceling J in the same setup would eliminate the J hum.

Again J, P, HB, MM, etc. only "looses" refers to the shape of the pup. A dimarzio ultra J is no more like a Fender Custom Shop J internally than it is an HB as it is in fact an HB.

9. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    thanks, made things look a lot more 'crystal clear'

does that mean that humcanceling J's looks like a normal dual pu J setup, but that only one actually functions, and the other is just euhm 'reversed' to cancel the hum?

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

HC J's look normal and both of them funtion fully. In my recall a portion of the winding is simply reverse wound to obtain the same effect in a single coil as occurs in an HB pair - in effect (not actuality) making them single coil HB's.