1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretless J w/ Barts - do you? Would you?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Koeda, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Koeda

Koeda Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Nashville
    So have perused all related threads could find. So one final ? while focusing on a pu swap.
    I need to put a hb pu set in the MIA Jazz fretless due to the noise - just gotta do it as pretty much solo the bridge. No probs with the stockers on the fretted counterpart.
    Desired results:
    Full range mwah on the solo'd bridge with no noise. Like the woody tone from the Fender - vintage is good but not required. Like clarity and balance in tone with butloads of mwah. Mwah is there now (but can't stand the hum and commercials from the radio station) with stock pu's.
    Leaning to the dual over the stacked hb's. Like and considering the Model J but would like to try something different. Nord's Lindy's BL's possible but focusing on Barts - but unsure prob the 9J#4 over the #1's for brightness or the
    9CBJD's. Sight unseen I'd go for the CBs from reading. Any one using one of these Barts in the fretless J?
    Aloha and thanks,
    David

PS: Have and like DM J type in my Aluminum Neck Fretless Kramers. One has a DM Model J the other is a Shaller Double J at the bridge. I need to use the Modle P neck on the one with the Model J just to beef up the bass and bring down the brightness a bit. But boy those sustain and mwah for hours if you let them.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Can't tell what you think of the current pups tone or it's just the noise you're wanting to get rid of. Even though I hate the process, I would think about shielding the bass and pups before going to other pups. Mainly cause it may resolve the noise but also cause shielding can't hurt if done properly and may be required regardless for playing some places - like apparently where you live.

3. Koeda

Koeda Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Nashville
    Right On-
    Did do the copper shielding on the fretted couterpart (1998) and lost the radio station - however the static hum was uneffected. On the fretted no worry - usually play both pu's or heavy on the neck. Going solo on the fretless bridge is beyond what I can take - especially knowing the Model J's on my other bases eliminate the prob. On the newer Fenders - at least mine (2006) they do a pretty decent job of sheilding with paint and grounds. Only thing I did was reroute the grounds to a star. Really wanting to give the Barts a try - heard back from Brian so ordered a set of 9CBJD-1 classics today. Looking forward to the test drive!
    Aloha, David

4. Koeda

Koeda Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Nashville