Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Jazz Bass Special for sale

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Justyn, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Hi everyone,

I've got a couple of things that I'm selling to pare down the amount of bass stuff in my house and pay off a few bills (like said house).

So, with that in mind, here's what's up for sale:

My late-80s/early 90s Fender Jazz Bass Special Fretless. I bought this about a year ago when I got the fretless bug and have since moved up to a Fernandes APB-100 (continuing my love of early 90s basses) so this one needs to go. Cosmetically it's seen better days. The fellow I bought it from was less than honest about it's cosmetic quality. There are some dings in the body, a dime sized chip out of the back of the neck up around the 12th fret (actually makes a nice position marker for your hand) and at some point the bass was dropped because the lower strap button was punched into the body and there's a chip surrounding it. All of these have been touched up with black paint and since the entire bass is black (body, headstock, neck, hardware) you really don't notice the flaws from more than a couple of feet away. Still..I want to make sure people are aware of them and I have plenty of pictures so you know what you're getting.
    In contrast to the body imperfections, the tone is really nice. I replaced the original Fender P/J pickups with a set of Lace Sensor P/Js and the tone is really bright and clear. I've got it strung with DR Lo-Riders and it has a nice midrange growl. Controls are simple...volume for each pickup, one tone, and a three way for the pickups for quick switching. As a little aside (and a little name dropping) my friend Christian McBride borrowed this bass when he was down here for a gig and wasn't able to bring his electric. Mind you, he could have played a 2x4 with lengths of bailing wire nailed to it and it would have sounded brilliant, but it has been used by a professional bassist (I was hoping some of that talent would rub off...the jury is still out).

I'm asking $300 for the bass, which I'll ship in a nice little gig bag. I'll be happy to email pictures and answer any and all questions.

Thanks,
    j.

2. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    i'm interested - it is a four string, know? american made? (you might have already answer this) can you email pics? matthewzin@hotmail.com