Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fretless jazz fender or spector?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by greatmudshark, Sep 15, 2005.

1. greatmudshark

greatmudshark

Sep 6, 2005
    this is going to be my first bass. at daddys junky music they have a fretless mexican jazz bass for 300. should i take that? or a spector performer 4 deluxe brand new at guitar center for 399.? and why?

2. Bazzist

Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    You might not want to start on a fretless. Go Spector

3. greatmudshark

greatmudshark

Sep 6, 2005
    well i noticed the action was low on the fretless, and since i have guitar background, i know where frets are. i was just wondering why you chose spector

4. The fret position on a bass is going to be much different than on a guitar and it will be alot harder to learn playing on a fretless. Does the Fender have fret lines on it? IMO, you need to play a fretted bass long enough to get your ear tuned, and then move on to a fretless.

BTW, is there any particular reason you want to start on a fretless?

5. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    Go for the fretless. Learning fretless first is definitely the way to. I learned on a fretless bass first, it really makes you a much better player since you have to rely on (and train) your ears more, as well as developing muscle memory in your hands for intonation. Trust me; it is a much easier transition to go from fretless to fretted (rather then the other way around). The only reason I got my first fretted bass was I started getting into funk slap playing.

Think of it this way, how many up-right bass players or even violin players started with frets on their instruments! I know most up-right players I have met had great ears....

I have a MIM Jazz fretless, I am very happy with it. Great growl and gotta love that Jaco sound!

6. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I have the same, but I also paid ~225 for a used one, which had never been used. It also had a replaced pickguard and black DR strings on it. If it is on auction for 300, you can see if you can hold out. I've seen them go for 250-275 on ebay. 300 isn't a bad deal either, if it is in great condition.

I cannot advise one way or the other, if you already play guitar, you are at least familiar with guitars and can judge for yourself if a fretless will work for what you want to play.

7. If your goal is to eventually play fretless, buy a fretless now. Simple. All that jazz about having to learn bass with frets first is nonsense, its boxed thinking of a fretted bassist.

One advice if going for fretless, buy a good tuner. I have cheapish Boss EL-80. You gotta make sure your bass is tuned and intonated proper, and you can check yourself while youre playing.

8. greatmudshark

greatmudshark

Sep 6, 2005
    the sole reason im interested in dretless is because i plan on playing stuff like claypool. slap bass is pretty hot.