Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Jazz or P/J? Any opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Jun 1, 2004.

1. I have a fretted Jazz Bass, and would like to get a fretless. Staying with the Fender style basses, which would be better - a fretless Jazz or P/J?

2. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Depends on if you want a "P" sound or a "J" sound...

They both work equally well, you just have to decide which sound you personally want.

Don

3. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    How much $$$ were you looking to spend on this fretless bass?

r

4. Unless I find a great deal on Ebay I'll probaly get an Essex. I know you get what you pay for, but they get great press here on TB.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Does Essex make a fretless P/J?

6. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I know that Brice used to make reputable fretless 4 string basses (the Douglas model). I recall they had one in blue with pearloid pickgaurd with alder body and rosewood fretless board that went for $199. They also had a Marcus Miller-like ash body bass with maple fretless board for $299. I almost actually bought one. Don't know if they still make them. Otherwise I'd keep my eyes open for a used MIM Jazz fretless; they're not half bad.

r
    PS I think the both Brice and Essex are made under the same roof somewhere in Korea.

7. I was thinking about defretting one of their new P/J's

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Oooh.

9. Have you seen them? They have just about the most beautiful sunburst finish, and the black/white/black pickguard really sets it off!

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea i know. As soon as i saw em i was like, "oooh, pretty". I have an SX fretless sunburst p bass that i put a black p/g on and it looks great, too bad its not P/J. It kinda needs a setup at the moment though. Buzzes in a spot or two on the neck.

11. I would love to have this bass as a fretless, but I am not sure whether I want to risk the conversion. I might just leave it alone with some flatwounds on it.