1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretless Jazz or P/J? Any opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Jun 1, 2004.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I have a fretted Jazz Bass, and would like to get a fretless. Staying with the Fender style basses, which would be better - a fretless Jazz or P/J?

2. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Depends on if you want a "P" sound or a "J" sound...

They both work equally well, you just have to decide which sound you personally want.

Don

3. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    How much $$$ were you looking to spend on this fretless bass?

r

4. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Unless I find a great deal on Ebay I'll probaly get an Essex. I know you get what you pay for, but they get great press here on TB.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Does Essex make a fretless P/J?

6. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I know that Brice used to make reputable fretless 4 string basses (the Douglas model). I recall they had one in blue with pearloid pickgaurd with alder body and rosewood fretless board that went for $199. They also had a Marcus Miller-like ash body bass with maple fretless board for $299. I almost actually bought one. Don't know if they still make them. Otherwise I'd keep my eyes open for a used MIM Jazz fretless; they're not half bad.

r
    PS I think the both Brice and Essex are made under the same roof somewhere in Korea.

7. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I was thinking about defretting one of their new P/J's

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Oooh.

9. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Have you seen them? They have just about the most beautiful sunburst finish, and the black/white/black pickguard really sets it off!

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea i know. As soon as i saw em i was like, "oooh, pretty". I have an SX fretless sunburst p bass that i put a black p/g on and it looks great, too bad its not P/J. It kinda needs a setup at the moment though. Buzzes in a spot or two on the neck.

11. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I would love to have this bass as a fretless, but I am not sure whether I want to risk the conversion. I might just leave it alone with some flatwounds on it.