Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Jazz Recording - Bass Duet!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Whisper, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Whisper

Whisper Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2001
    New York, New York
    Hey, I have some music to share. I am playing my fretless Warmoth/Moses jazz, it has a Sadowsky preamp and Lindy Fralin pickups. Let me know what you think.

I Can't Get Started

Cheers
    Karl

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Jeeze man! Get an upright!

haha j/k. I love it so far!!

Do you have pics of the bass? If so, PM, or Link Please :)

-Mark

3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Are both tracks you? I love it!

4. Whisper

Jun 28, 2001
    New York, New York
    Thanks, you can see a photo of the bass on my website:

http://members.shaw.ca/karlkohut

The bass has a hand-rubbed oil finish, it was a lot of work! I've had many positive comments on its tone and looks.

And yes, both tracks are me: I overdubbed the solo track after the bass track.

Cheers
    Karl

5. Whisper

Jun 28, 2001
    New York, New York
  6. Great playing, love your tone, both basses sound fab! How did you record those clips?

7. Whisper

Jun 28, 2001
    New York, New York
    Thanks alembicf1x, I recorded the clips by taking the line out from my amp straight into my computer's sound card. It's not studio quality, but it's great to record myself practicing.

The first sound clip has some reverb and eq, the second has eq only (basically rolling off the low end so it isn't so boomy). I did the string pad in the second clip with a Yamaha DX7-II.

Cheers
    Karl

8. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Beautiful, lush tone, nice fretless playing there.

:)

9. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Great stuff! Very Jaco-like tone.

10. Whatever you are doing Karl, keep at it, your playing sounds wicked - the phrasing and execution on this little solo is excellent - it would be great to hear you with a band or grooving to some beats - either way you're getting very good.

M

11. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    I think you did a great job - your solo lines are great with a beautiful sound. The only constructive criticism is this; it sounds like you recorded the accompianment first then soloed. If you have both tracks recorded I would suggest going back and recording a new accompianment now hearing the solo lines as if you really were accompanying someone. Having said that your playing is fantastic.

12. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    beautiful! great recording. Now I can't wait to get a fretless.

Thanks for making the GAS worse.....:D

13. Whisper

Jun 28, 2001
    New York, New York
    Mike Flynn: Thank you! I will post some more stuff as soon as I get the chance. I have learnt a lot by listening to your recordings and checking out the videos you have posted. You are a great resource for the bass community.

tappingtrance: Thanks for your comments, I agree with what you said. When I recorded the "bass" track I was thinking about keeping it very simple and not detracting from the solo melody. That being said, there definitely could be more interaction between the two parts.

ElBajista: Life is too short! Go buy a fretless!!

Cheers
    Karl

14. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    I think your playing is great. I also checked out your website, which is very cool.
    One thing to consider: careful with the Jaco-isms; they've been done to death by many others. You seem like you have real talent; try to spend some time finding you own voice.
    I did enjoy your recordings.

15. +1
    awesome!!!

16. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    that is some intense playing there man. Real nice

17. Whisper

Jun 28, 2001
    New York, New York
    Thanks for your comments, I'm at the stage in my development where I'm just trying to absorb the style of as many different players as possible... and that includes a lot of Jaco! I still am searching for my "own" voice, but I have no doubt I will find it eventually...