Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fretless jazz setup, a big THANK YOU!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by sb69coupe, Mar 17, 2005.

1. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I just wanted to post here to say a general thank-you to those folks who have posted helpful advice on setting up a fretless bass. In the past couple months there have been a few postings regarding setting the relief and string height at the nut for a nice low action. I followed the advice and am unbelievably thrilled with how my bass is playing after just a slight amount of tweaking.

Background: I purchased a Mighty Mite ebonal fretless neck to install on a Signature Jazz body I got off ebay. The neck pocket on the body is slightly deeper than standard, so the neck sits low, requiring the saddles on the bridge to be very low to compensate. I still couldn't get the action set low enough to suit me.

I followed the advice posted here and cut the nut down to get the strings much closer to the fingerboard, then I set the relief to almost zero, totally flat. I placed a small shim of brass stock in the neck pocket to shim the neck ever so slightly, and WOW what a difference it makes. This bass now plays like butter, I can't put it down. Thanks again to all who post here.

Here's a pic of the bass: http://www.employees.org/~sburgess/bass6.jpg

Shannon

2. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Glad you got your bass setup the way you like it.
    She's a pretty looking number too.

3. That is one hell of a bass. If you're ever planning on selling it, look me up. ;)

4. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Thanks for the reply guys. John, the bass was only about $400 total for the body, neck, and hardware. I bought the body off ebay from seller "slonk18". It's an alder Signature body that came loaded with all electronics, tort pickguard, neckplate and bridge. I also got him to throw in a set of tuners and a string retainer for a few extra $$. Then I got the neck off ebay too, and put 'em all together. I have to say that I'm very pleased with how the bass turned out. Feel free to send me a PM if you want more info.

Shannon