Fretless Jazz Standard MIM and Roundwound Strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alembicfive, May 14, 2005.

1. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    Does anyone out there in Bassland use roundwound strings on their MIM Standard Jazz fretless??

I was wondering how the rosewood fretboard is holding up.... :confused:

(I have had rosewood fretless basses in the past and they varied from bass to bass how the fretboard held up.....I only use roundwound strings)
  2. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I've had rounds, half-rounds, and flats on my MIM Jazz. The rounds did leave a fair bit of wear on the rosewood fingerboard.
  3. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    Geez :meh: one using roundwounds here!! How 'bout on any Fender jazz with a rosewood fretboard??
  4. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I only use flats on my fretless. Wouldn't care to test rounds on that wood.
  5. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I use half-rounds
  6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I've been using rounds for a couple months now, and there is indeed some wear starting to affect the board (buzzing here and there.) I'm taking it in to get a resurface and then I'm gonna epoxy the board. The wear is a small price to pay for the *beautiful* sound of rounds on a fretless.
  7. i have rounds on my bastard fretless p bass, with a rosewood board, its leaving a few marks, the strings i use are from my first bass, nice old and thuddy, with a little zing still left surprisingly....i mainly play fretted, just thought defretting one of the 2 necks i had for my p would be fun, im not too hot on fretless, but i still need to work on it...when i get another ksd jazz, 70's 4 string by the looks, im gonna shove flats on one, rounds on the other

i was messing around on a cort curbow fretless 4 in a store near me and it had rounds on it, been on display about 2 years, and its got a few scratches on the board from the rounds, thats probably my favourite fretless to be honest