Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Jazz Standard MIM and Roundwound Strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alembicfive, May 14, 2005.

1. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    Does anyone out there in Bassland use roundwound strings on their MIM Standard Jazz fretless??

I was wondering how the rosewood fretboard is holding up.... :confused:

(I have had rosewood fretless basses in the past and they varied from bass to bass how the fretboard held up.....I only use roundwound strings)

2. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I've had rounds, half-rounds, and flats on my MIM Jazz. The rounds did leave a fair bit of wear on the rosewood fingerboard.

3. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    Geez :meh: ....no one using roundwounds here!! How 'bout on any Fender jazz with a rosewood fretboard??

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I only use flats on my fretless. Wouldn't care to test rounds on that wood.

5. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I use half-rounds

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I've been using rounds for a couple months now, and there is indeed some wear starting to affect the board (buzzing here and there.) I'm taking it in to get a resurface and then I'm gonna epoxy the board. The wear is a small price to pay for the *beautiful* sound of rounds on a fretless.

7. i have rounds on my bastard fretless p bass, with a rosewood board, its leaving a few marks, the strings i use are from my first bass, nice old and thuddy, with a little zing still left surprisingly....i mainly play fretted, just thought defretting one of the 2 necks i had for my p would be fun, im not too hot on fretless, but i still need to work on it...when i get another ksd jazz, 70's 4 string by the looks, im gonna shove flats on one, rounds on the other

i was messing around on a cort curbow fretless 4 in a store near me and it had rounds on it, been on display about 2 years, and its got a few scratches on the board from the rounds, thats probably my favourite fretless to be honest