1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretless jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheFlashSawyer, Aug 20, 2012.

1. TheFlashSawyer

TheFlashSawyer

Oct 12, 2011
    Hey guys,

just wondering if any of you can point me in the right direction of any sites, companies, etc that I can pick up a cheap-ish fretless (preferably jazz) bass from.

Maybe there are some fender copy companies that I could look into? Name suggestions?

- I'm on a true student budget so I know I'm asking a lot asking for a nice cheap fretless jazz instrument

Thanks,
    any feedback much appreciated as usual!

2. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Go look for a used instrument if you are on a budget. Squier Vintage Modified fretless if you need sub $250 or so. Used MIA Fender J's can be had for fairly cheap on here. I picked one up for $450 a while back. That was a rather good deal though.

What's your budget?

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Well you get the horror story I like to call the Squier VM Fretless Jazz... some folks love theirs but I wouldn't recommend one to my worst enemy. I didn't mind the Fender MIM fretless I played.

Best bang for your buck will be Carvin in my opinion, you will actually get yourself a true player.

You could always just get a jazz bass and rip the frets out and stuff in some wood filler, epoxy job is up to you :D

4. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Vintage Icon Jazz Bass: http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/guitars/10-best-budget-bass-guitars-226841/2

I had one and loved it. It feels great and sounds good. You can get a really good deal on them used. A lot of people like the Squire fretless, but I tried several of them and just didn't like any of them. I have a friend at a music store and they set one up for me, so I know it wasn't the setup; I just didn't like it.

5. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    The Squier is ok for the dough, but it really doesn't compare to higher dollar instruments.

Alternative route is to find a good cheap Jazz and look for an after market fretless neck.

6. TheFlashSawyer

TheFlashSawyer

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah that's my thoughts at the minute to be honest.
    As fretted cheap jazzes are a lot easier to come by, I might be best getting a decent conversion on it, then setting it up to my preferences etc and it'll probs play better than a cheap fretless
    Thanks guys

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The Squier VM fretless really sings, in my opinion. I'm a big ebanol fan.

8. Vikerlane

Vikerlane

Jul 23, 2012
    Jacko Pastorius took in his early days fret wires off and voila, fretless bass with fret marks. Easyer to learn also.

9. the Squier can be a great fretless, but you have to inspect it in person before purchase. I had one, well still do, but I swapped out the neck for a Mighty Mite unlined one, but anyway, the fretlines on it were raised above the fingerboard which caused some significant buzzing. I had to get a sanding block from Stewmac to fix it. Probably cost $50 with block and sanding paper and took a couple of hours.

10. TheFlashSawyer

TheFlashSawyer

Oct 12, 2011
  11. I heard some bad stories about the Squier VM too, But the ones I Have tried were good, and I now own one. I would just replace the pickups. Mine has a SJB-2 set, And it's very nice...what can I say?

12. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
  13. I bought a CIJ Fender Jazz unlined fretless last year for around 450. I thought it would be just a cheapish bass to learn fretless on. These basses are awesome. CIJ/MIJ from the mid 90's are great deals. I've had sound guys say "i love the sound of that bass, what have you done to it?" answer is bone stock. With how tight things have been here lately, you could get a really good deal if one ever came up.

14. The only fretless bass I ever will have, most likely, is my good old MIM Fender Jazz. Great stock, better since I changed the pickups. I tried quite a few MIM Jazz basses before picking that one up, the one I have seem to have that little something more, I can't explain what. So, my advice, go out there, shop around in used instruments stores and buy a Fender Jazz that feels and sounds better for you.