Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless JB set up, numbers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fixingahole2, Feb 12, 2006.

1. fixingahole2

fixingahole2

Feb 12, 2006
    Hi, I am new to this forum.
    I have an American Jazz Bass, from the 80's.
    I bought it couple of months ago, from a friend. I found the action cool when I bought it, but not any more (this bass was DEFRETTED).
    I measured everything to discribe what is the bass like at the moment, and I am wondering, if you have any tips to lower the action.

NUMBERS:

Holding the first and the last fret, (string 4)I checked the gap on the 8th fret, and it's around 0.011".
    Holding the third fret, string 4, the gap between the first fret and the string is .015.
    With a ruller, the gap fretboard to string 4 on the 17 fret 6/64.
    The neck is flat, as much as I could.
    The saddles, are pretty low (I am wondering, does fretless has different saddlers, so it can go more down?).

Any tips, on reducing buzz while lowering the action?

Thanks for looking,

2. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    it might look flat but does it have any worn areas??

3. fixingahole2

fixingahole2

Feb 12, 2006
    Maybe, the neck looks strait to me, but, somewhere around the 3-5 fret, it looks not even. Maybe this is it. Anybody knows if thats fixable (assuming this is the case)?

4. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    luthiers can fill and level a fretless although i am not sure how they do it ...not really something that you can do yourself.

5. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    It's your nut (assuming that there aren't any other structural issues). A fretless nut needs to be filed down really low, preferably so that the strings are almost lying on the fingerboard. Any good luthier should be able to do it fairly easily for you.