fretless lines

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Si-bob, Aug 30, 2003.

1. This is aimed at anyone really.
    I read an article (i think by gary willis) whereby he explained the nature of fretted and fretless instrument necks. In the article he explains that as you move up the neck, to play on the lines will give u and increasingly sharpened note, and so to play slightly behind the line. Surely can't you move the lines of a fretless back, as it were, so the lines are placed where the actually note is, therefore being able to fit more notes (or "frets") on the board?
    sorry if this isn't explained very well :)

2. OldDawg

Jul 4, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Temperment is a huge topic and on going discussion. Bottom line use your ear and adjust as necessary.

If you want to delve into it there are web sites that get into equal temperment, quality? temperment, the overtones series and the physics behind all of it. So its a big subject and contraversal topic. In long run develop and trust your ears.
  3. cheers
    my fretless at the moment is unlined anyway, so i havn't got a choice but to use my ears :)
    its just a topic i thought was quite interesting. I shall now go and look for those web-sites you mention :)