Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Maple fretboard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkSlap89, Jun 23, 2005.

1. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Is there such thing? I'm pretty sure i've never seen one.... does anyone here own one/ have pics?

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    *waits for Embellisher*

There are some pretty spectacular maple fretlesses. Just wait for a bit, and I'm sure you'll see a gorgeous Benavente 51 six string in this thread.

3. I've seen a few P-basses w/maple fingerboards. I think they lacquer them just like fretted ones, to keep them looking clean(that's what I heard).

Edit: I can't believe I forgot that 51P. :oops: It should come up soon...

4. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    James Hart is the proud owner of the '51 fretless Bennie 6'er I believe. (although maybe Embellisher has a fretless maple board as well, I dunno).

Christian McBride's primary bass (guitar) is his Pensa-Suhr fretless jazz with unlined birdseye maple fingerboard. It sounds INCREDIBLE too, I heard him play live with it.

I briefly possessed a vintage (70's?) Fender P-bass fretless that had an unlined birdseye fingerboard as well - didn't sound great as the bass had some problems. But it looked sweet!

5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

There was a fretless maple Brice 5er on ebay yesterday, but someone bought it.

maple fretless Brice

It was mighty tempting at $150, but I've got two basses on the way already.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't own the Bennie, that belongs to James Hart.

I have played a couple of 70's fretless P basses that had a maple board.

7. Lotsa fretless P-basses had maple boards....

8. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Very nice... I want to see this bass everyone is talking about... i hope james hart shows up..

9. James' board makes my jaw drop every time... :bassist:

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :smug: here I is

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. DigthemLows

DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    I had a lightwave with a fretless maple board...........I loved the feel and sound, I'm on the lookout for a neck for my SX so I can make it a fretless maple...........I've played a 70's P with one too, they are pretty common.

12. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I have a warmoth jazz with a swamp ash body, maple neck, fretless maple board. and I love it. The notes really bloom and swell with the maple...

13. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    :eek: E GAD! That IS beautiful!!! you are one lucky man :(

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    thanks! I do dig it! I've had it just over a year, and still play it 98% of the time.

15. epoxo57

epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio

Sting played a red fretless maple P back in the mid years with the Police (Zenyetta Mondatta era..). It has a unique sound in the concert footage I have, pretty twangy.

16. DigthemLows

DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    Where and how did you find a fretless maple neck?

17. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    by the looks of it.. i would guess www.warmoth.com ..;)

18. SPC, do you have a picture of your Warmoth?

19. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I don't have a pic...I'll see if I can get one soon, though.
    It's a warmoth j body (not sure which one, but I do know it is swamp ash), no p/g, v/v/t, p/j setup (the p is a duncan quarter pounder, and the J is a basslines stacked humbucker).
    It has an amateur natural finish which has faded to sort of an amber color. The maple neck has a maple board which was made fretless at a local shop soon after I had it assembled. There is a light coat of epoxy on the board which I've had touched up a couple of times. It seems pretty thin though, not glassy like a Pedulla buzz finish. I don't play it too often, but It's the bass I've had the longest, and it has a really present, liquidy (is that a word?) sound.