Fretless Maple fretboard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkSlap89, Jun 23, 2005.

1. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Is there such thing? I'm pretty sure i've never seen one.... does anyone here own one/ have pics?

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    *waits for Embellisher*

There are some pretty spectacular maple fretlesses. Just wait for a bit, and I'm sure you'll see a gorgeous Benavente 51 six string in this thread.

3. I've seen a few P-basses w/maple fingerboards. I think they lacquer them just like fretted ones, to keep them looking clean(that's what I heard).

Edit: I can't believe I forgot that 51P. :oops: It should come up soon...

4. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    James Hart is the proud owner of the '51 fretless Bennie 6'er I believe. (although maybe Embellisher has a fretless maple board as well, I dunno).

Christian McBride's primary bass (guitar) is his Pensa-Suhr fretless jazz with unlined birdseye maple fingerboard. It sounds INCREDIBLE too, I heard him play live with it.

I briefly possessed a vintage (70's?) Fender P-bass fretless that had an unlined birdseye fingerboard as well - didn't sound great as the bass had some problems. But it looked sweet!

5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

There was a fretless maple Brice 5er on ebay yesterday, but someone bought it.

maple fretless Brice

It was mighty tempting at $150, but I've got two basses on the way already.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I don't own the Bennie, that belongs to James Hart.

I have played a couple of 70's fretless P basses that had a maple board.

7. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Lotsa fretless P-basses had maple boards....

8. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Very nice... I want to see this bass everyone is talking about... i hope james hart shows up..

9. James' board makes my jaw drop every time... :bassist:

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :smug: here I is

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. DigthemLows

DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    I had a lightwave with a fretless maple board...........I loved the feel and sound, I'm on the lookout for a neck for my SX so I can make it a fretless maple...........I've played a 70's P with one too, they are pretty common.

12. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I have a warmoth jazz with a swamp ash body, maple neck, fretless maple board. and I love it. The notes really bloom and swell with the maple...

13. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    :eek: E GAD! That IS beautiful!!! you are one lucky man :(

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    thanks! I do dig it! I've had it just over a year, and still play it 98% of the time.

15. epoxo57

epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio

Sting played a red fretless maple P back in the mid years with the Police (Zenyetta Mondatta era..). It has a unique sound in the concert footage I have, pretty twangy.

16. DigthemLows

DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    Where and how did you find a fretless maple neck?

17. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    by the looks of it.. i would guess www.warmoth.com ..;)

18. SPC, do you have a picture of your Warmoth?

19. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I don't have a pic...I'll see if I can get one soon, though.
    It's a warmoth j body (not sure which one, but I do know it is swamp ash), no p/g, v/v/t, p/j setup (the p is a duncan quarter pounder, and the J is a basslines stacked humbucker).
    It has an amateur natural finish which has faded to sort of an amber color. The maple neck has a maple board which was made fretless at a local shop soon after I had it assembled. There is a light coat of epoxy on the board which I've had touched up a couple of times. It seems pretty thin though, not glassy like a Pedulla buzz finish. I don't play it too often, but It's the bass I've had the longest, and it has a really present, liquidy (is that a word?) sound.