Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless maple Jazz neck on P-bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Moog1000, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Moog1000

Moog1000

Dec 8, 2005
    UK
    Hi Guys,

I'm new here so go easy on me! I've got a fretless jazz neck with a maple board which I'm thinking of sticking on my old P-bass for a change. I'm not really after a traditional fretless tone, but what could I expect if I do this? I haven't seen many fretless p-basses, let alone any with maple boards, is this a bad idea?

Cheers

Moog1000

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    " . . . Is this a bad idea? . . ."

Not if you want to play fretless. Fender released P basses with fretless maple fingerboards in the early 70s. I have played a few. They are fine.

IMO, the design of the P bass pickup is not nearly as well suited for a fretless application as is the jazz pickup design. The P bass tends to have somewhat less presence in the midtone and a more tubby sound. The flair of the fretless doesn't shine through as well. It works though.

For lack of the a better description, it'll sound like a fretless P bass.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

Which many of us prefer :bassist:

Moog1000 says he's "not really after a traditional fretless tone".

as far as tone... the player is a big part. Fretless P basses make me thing of early 'Police' and 'Love and Rockets'

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Did Tony Franklin get the memo about this? ;)

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I'd also love a fretless P bass. Too bad I'm a lefty so my chances of getting one are even slimmer.

6. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    I have a 77 Fender fretless P with a maple/maple neck. Sounded okay with just the P pup, but I had a Bart P/J put in, sounds sweet now.