Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Maple?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassDodger, Apr 28, 2003.

1. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    I was just listening to the Queen "Live Killers" CD. In the inset, there is a pic of the great God of Bass Mr. John Deacon (yes, I am a fan and follower) playing what appears to be a Fender P-bass fretless with a Maple fingerboard. Man, I liked that. I myself have absolutely loved my G&L L-2000 and thought my next purchase should be a fretless one. Off to the website I go...

They don't make a fretless maple...so I decided to look elsewhere as it occured to me that I had NEVER seen a fretless maple with my own eyes. I looked some more. Nothing....

What gives here? Why is the fretless maple neck so elusive? Is there something wrong with that fingerboard on a fretless? Something Special, perhaps? Mind you, I had a fretless Fender at one time, but I traded it. It was made in Japan and had a rosewood board. I was just thinking of trying out a fretless again and one with a Maple board came to mind...

TBers...educate me....

2. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    thats a question I had in my head for a while too.....

sure, other woods may be stronger and better sounding, but a maple with some sort of coating, maybe epoxy, would do just as well.

I like the idea of an all natural P bass, with an unlined fretless maple one piece neck, a one piece ash body with no pickguard, and only an output jack. That would be nifty. minimalist.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think maple is a bit too soft for a fretless board. Rosewood is quite a bit harder, a bit oily, so no finish is needed.

4. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I thought that maple is a harder wood then rosewood is. The only maple fretless I have seen was the OLP stingray I used to own that I defretted. I don't recall seening a production maple fretless now that you mention it.

5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Yep maple is too soft. The lightwave fretless bass has those, and their boards get torn up fast if you use roundwounds...saw it at bass alone first hand...

6. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    isn't anyone considering what might happen if one were to add a thick coat of epoxy or some other coating? It would be really hard, and would protect the actual wood. Can anyone back me up on this?

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    why spend the money? you could just get the rosewood and forget it.

8. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    KillDar- I agree with you completely. It might be an asthetic thing to me, but man- I LOVE the way that bass Mr. Deacon has looks!... I would think that someone would have mastered the art of putting some sort of additive like epoxy for that particular fretboard. I dunno- maybe it just can't be done. Oh, well- here's to hoping...!

9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I don't see why you couldn't epoxy a maple board...

10. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    On my fretless OLP with a maple board I did use epoxy to protect the fretboard. Very fast and easy thing to do.

11. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    Yea...it's just a prob for me to AQUIRE a maple fretboard that hasn't been fretted...

12. Bridge Cables

Bridge Cables Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Southern N C
  13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Maple fretless' are plenty available.. If you have a pair of pliers, that is! :p

Here's what my poor Kingston looks nowadays.

14. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    Thanks for the link-up, Hujo...that answered alot more questions I had.

I will prolly aquire a cool neck for a G&L...that would be awesome! But 'til then, I would like to thank everyone here at TalkBass. Once again, ya'll have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that bassplayers are the coolest members of any band, and I'm glad to be one of yas. Take care...and keep the low-end LOW.

15. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Hrmph. Here it is.

[​IMG]

16. sambass

sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    MA
    once at a guitar center I saw a maple fretless music man. didnt try it out though.

17. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    Beautiful bass. See why I want one?

18. Here's my sweet 77 Fender P . It has the factory coated finish on the neck/board. the neck and the playing surface are all one piece of maple so I guess you could say there isn't a fingerboard but a playing surface. I haven't had any problems with surface wear. I only use flats on this bass.
    [​IMG]

19. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Here's a small pic of Christian McBride's Pensa fretless. All maple board with no lines. Up close, you can tell that it's been coated but it sounds awesome. Also attached is a link to a video of him playing it. Pretty sweet sounding fretless if you ask me! :)

Christian McBride playing his maple fretless

[​IMG]