Fretless MIM jazz, someone used roundwounds... >_<

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by klocwerk, May 24, 2005.

1. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    hey all!
    I just got a used MIM fender jazz off e-bay (got a great deal), and it arrived today.
    As I feared, the previous owner had roundwounds on it, and they did a number on the fretboard. Luckily they didn't own it too long, but it's definitely a little gouged. :mad: :rollno: :crying:

So here's what I'm wondering:
    If I throw some flatwounds on and play it awhile, will it naturally flatten out the lumps between the grooves and level out the neck?
    or am I going to have to bite the bullet and sand this puppy down a bit?

I'll take pictures tonight when I get home so you can see how deep they are. It's not terrible, but you can feel it by rubbing your fingertip over the fretboard.
  2. nope, that will not happen.
    you need to level that fretboard. I suggest using a hard coating on it so you can continue to use roundwounds (flats just don't give that mwah!). Epoxy or Polyurethan as discussed on countless other threads will do the trick on them.
  3. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Heh, I use flatwounds on my fretted bass too. I just plain like 'em.

And I'm really not into epoxying the fretboard, I don't like the feel of it. I find it slightly sticky, even with the best epoxy/urethane job.

So I'll need to sand it down it sounds like. Can I just use a foam sanding block and let it contour to the fretboard, or do I really need to purchase a sanding block for the fender jazz radius? It's not like I'm going to be removing a lot of material, so I want to avoid purchasing a custom block...
  4. it's better to get a sanding block that matches your fretboard. lutherie supply companies sell them. I think fenders have something like a 7" or 9" radius ...but's thats just from my (very bad) memory. please get confirmation before proceeding.
  5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    I would either use a radiused block, or a flat, long straight block. Sand parallel to the neck and don't flat-spot the board by sanding too much in one area. Don't use a foam block. Foam will just make the board uneven.

Use what you want for strings, but if the board just has some indentations from the windings I'd leave it alone and play it for a bit.
  6. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    that's what I'm thinking. It's really not bad, just some grooving from the string windings.
    I'm going to pick up some flats on my way home and give it a week or two before I break out the sandpaper.