1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretless Mod-Please help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by theworldismad, Mar 7, 2010.

1. theworldismad

theworldismad

Oct 11, 2009
    I am looking to mod my Shecter DLX4 fretless. It is almond brown with white markers. I would like to pull out the white markers and replace them with a markers that will match the fretboard better. I would also like to strip the paint and finish it natural.

This is my first attempt at modding something so I could use alot of suggestions on how to do this.

2. OHSPyro89

OHSPyro89

Jun 21, 2009
    Um. Well, drill the old markers out and replace them with new ones would be my first guess.

Stripping the paint may require a lot of sanding, most chemical removers don't do to well on guitar finishes.

3. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    drilling the markers will not go well. A few layers of epoxy will darken them nicely and should be satisfactory (for your first mod, anyway).

4. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    I agree. I too am attempting my first fretless mod project, and drilled out the markers. As they broke apart, they marred the fretboard. Subsequently, filling them resulted in uneven edges. My remedy was that the markers were the exact same size as a standard hole puncher. I layered several strips of packing tape, and punched a hole. Then applied strips, masked off the rest of the fretboard, and applied a light spraypaint. Removed tape and lightly sanded to smooth edges. Pics posted on my "cheap P fretless mod" thread. This worked quite well, actually - I wish I had done this directly over the markers rather than attempt drilling them.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020