Fretless - Musicman vs Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AndreasBassman, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Go for the Musicman Sterling HH

66 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Go for the Fender Jazz bass

120 vote(s)
    56.1%
  3. Dont go with either of em...

28 vote(s)
    13.1%
  1. AndreasBassman

AndreasBassman

Feb 1, 2009
    HI!

Im having some real trouble choosing here, first i just want to tell you what im after:

I play mainly fretted basses, (alembic) but wanna have the chance to go this way aswell. I really like to have alot of the "mwah" sound fretless is known for, but still want easy to play bass in the same deal.

I love Jaco Pastorius and thats mainly why im looking at a jazz bass.

The problem is: I dont have chance to try out neither of them, so i need to trsu the good word of the public.

Basses:

Musicman Sterling HH used - 850usd (it looks nice i got to say that)
    Fender American Standard Jazz bass used - 1050usd (this one looks even better!)

Im after the fretless sound, used mostly for soloes when used at all if you catch my drift.

(if you have any other ideas throw them in)
    Trying to make poll: 1 is Musicman - 2 is the Fender - 3 is other

How about a fender from mexico or japan? how do these work? it is like 300-400usd

2. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    It sounds to me that you already have your mind made up. You like Jaco, you like that classic fretless solo sound, you like the Fender's looks even more, you want the Fender.

I voted Fender.

3. AndreasBassman

AndreasBassman

Feb 1, 2009
    I agree with myself now that a Fender would be cool (not sure yet though)

I wanna know if the P bass is much worse then the jazz bass? Talking P bass with jazz neck.

And MIM and MIJ is this crap? I dont want crap cuz im going to use it in studio etc

4. ctufankjian

ctufankjian

Sep 28, 2007
    Vermont
    Endorsing Artist: Unicornbass.se
    Yea I voted Fender as well. Had the poll been between the fender Jazz and a stingray 4 single H..... There's something to be said for keepin it classic :D

5. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Fender Jazz and Fretless is like Peanut Butter and Jelly! They just go together perfect!

6. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    MIJ and MIJ Fenders aren't crap. Many here on tb feel the MIJ or CIJ equals, or surpasses, MIA quality. MIM Classic series are on a par, quality wise, with MIA, imho. MIM Standard Series seem to be hit and miss - as a side note, every midnight wine MIM Jazz I played was a gem.

7. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I just picked up a new Midnight Wine MIM Jazz for cheap at GC and then I bought a fretless neck from Warmoth. I just installed it this week and I can tell you that this bass sounds great. :)

8. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    My favourite fretless moments are by Pino back in the '80s on a fretless 'Ray. So I voted MM.

9. Oric

Oric

Feb 19, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Same here! Except I only have played one... but it's my main bass! It looks sexy as all get out with a black pickguard.

10. Clank

Clank

Jan 7, 2008
    Huntington Beach
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Strings
    Fender Tony Franklin

11. AndreasBassman

AndreasBassman

Feb 1, 2009
    Im sorry but i cant see myself buying a MIM or MIJ.
    Too me its like buying socks in Spain. Cheap and they work, but still its crap though it works...

Im that kind of guy who likes quality signs even if its fake signs, as made in USA is quality while Made in mexico is not so much...

Im still not sure. I really would like to know how the MM sounds as its ready for shipping in box, and the Fender will have to be bought new and its alot of money lost in buying new stuff i think. I managed to get it for 900 if i wanted (fender) but the dual humbuck on MM looks quality. And its listet much higher in price which makes me think its better.

I whish i could have tried em =(

Still im after the "Solo" sound and im told that the fender.
    "MwaH"

I play Double bass aswell so im not after that sound per say. Im after a fourth sound: Slap, Double, Fret and then the fretless

12. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    If it was between a MM and a J, my personal choice would be the mm.

13. MIM and MIJ aren't really in the same league when it comes to some stuff, Fender Japan makes some really top quality stuff (although probably has the capacity to churn out it's fair share of crap like anywhere else on Earth) but MIM for Fender is strictly a budget thing. My brother has a MIJ Strat and it's the nicest Strat I've ever played, I know someone with a Japanese made Aerodyne PJ Jazz and that's a really nicely made bass too.

Try find some clips of fretless MMs and make your own mind up, you like Jaco but that doesn't mean you can't find your own fretless sound.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a fretless stingray. I think I like fretless jazzes better, but i dont play fretless enough to care.

15. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    Hear, hear! I recently bought a MIJ Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass, and I couldn't be happier with it.

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    MIJ stuff is great.

17. Go Jaco style and get the Jazz.

18. WeightedWings

WeightedWings

Feb 12, 2008
    MIM Fender Jazz Fretless or Squier VM Fretless J. Otherwise buy something nicer like the MM or a used Tobias Fretless or MTD Fretless.

19. Except that MM Sterlings are fantastic basses & ................

20. bass_snake

bass_snake Inactive

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    MIMs and MIJs aren' t crap. I see no difference between MIMs and Squires though. I' d go for Squires for they are cheaper. I think it' s just a name thing.

Fred

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021