Fretless - Musicman vs Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AndreasBassman, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Go for the Musicman Sterling HH

66 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Go for the Fender Jazz bass

120 vote(s)
    56.1%
  3. Dont go with either of em...

28 vote(s)
    13.1%
  1. bThumper38

bThumper38 brian ebert

I got an 85 MIJ jazz a few weeks ago, and couldn't be happier with it, of course than last week I put my Marleaux on Ebay and bought an 88 MIA jazz bass, we'll see what the difference is.=) either way I'm back to fender in a big way=). next is a fretless warmoth neck to go with my twin sunburst fenders.....coming soon to a talk bass near you

2. mobax

mobax

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    You should really make your own choice, but since you asked, the Sterling HH and the Fender Jazz are probably my two favorite basses. I choose the Sterling HH because it is a tone monster, pure and simple. I've used many basses including Warwick, Fender, Lakland and Musicman in my current band and my band mates absolutely love the Sterling HH. I have to agree. This bass will achieve all of the low end I will ever need and still cut like a straight razor. I am even considering selling my beloved Streamer Stage II fiver to buy a Sterling HH fiver to complement the four banger I am playing.

3. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    from my experience, the quality if mm basses is by far superior to most fenders. ymmv. the sterling will be more versatile too.

4. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Have you tried the fretted version of each? Which works better for you?

Answer that and game over.

Jim

5. mobax

mobax

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    I have the fretted American Deluxe Jazz and MM Sterling and the Sterling wins hands down.

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    One detail to point out would be the fretboard material on a fretless. The Jazz uses rosewood while the Musicman uses pau ferro, and pau ferro is one of the hardest woods and much more resiliant to wear. Of course it all depends on what kind of strings you wish to use on it, and how frequently you use the bass.

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

OH yes YeS YES!!! These are great! :hyper:

8. pbass62

pbass62 Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Iron Station NC
    I say Ray over the J, Both are great basses but from my experience my MM punches through better.:meh:

9. Vallejo

Vallejo

Feb 6, 2009
    Gibraltar
    MIJ fenders, pliers, a box of toothpicks, some glue and a bit of sanding is the way forward

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021