Fretless Neck for my bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Rafterman, Apr 28, 2001.

1. i have a question...

can i buy a Fretless neck for an Ibanez 6 string bass (SR-506)?...if so how much would it cost?
  2. Your question leads to some larger questions that I don't think have ever been addressed:

How does one get a new replacement neck for basses that aren't of the standard Fender type style?

In short, I don't know! If I were you, I would try to get in touch with Ibanez, either through a licensed dealer, repair facility or directly to ask how one could acquire a neck. If your bass was never offered as a fretless, this is going to be even more difficult. Ibanez's are made in a true production line setting and getting a neck before the fretting process could prove difficult. I just don't have any better info.

I do know that Warmoth makes necks for other instruments. I've seen Yamaha necks in the Thrift Shop but I don't know what Warmoth's approach is to this type of work. I certainly would imagine that there might be some steep deposits involved so that they don't get stuck with an essentially useless piece of wood that no one else would want.
    Perhaps another approach would be to get with a luthier to build one to suit your needs. A good luthier isn't limited by standard jigs and templates like an aftermarket manufacturer would be.

Here is a possibility: Check out Steve "Dude" Barr's website "The DudePit". He has a section with his entire accumulated link library that he has gathered over many years. You may find a luthier that can do such a job for you. At the very least, you'll have some fun looking. Here's the link:

Hope this helps
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Rafterman, more than likely you will not be able to find a fretless neck for that bass.

I have had a 506 for several years, and have done a lot of research on the bass.

There were only 2 Ibanez models that had that neck, the SR 506 and the SR886. Both are discontinued. The 506 was never offered in fretless, the 886 was but I have never seen one in person or on the net.

Your best option would be to pay somebody to professionally defret the neck for you.

Or you could buy my 506 and defret the neck on it, and have a matched pair of 506's. One fretted, one fretless!:)

The SR 1306 had a similar neck, it would fit the 506, but it is a 5 piece wenge/walnut Prestige neck, and would cost a lot of money. I have seen a couple of 1306's in fretless.