Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless neck for Tobias Growler 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by masaki_v, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Does anyone know where I can locate one of these?:confused: It's a post-Gibson Tobias.

Or, should I de-fret mine?:(

Thanks for helping out the new guy.

Masaki

2. Defretting would be cheaper, as long as you do it yourself, just be careful.

3. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I dont recommend defretting. Its always better the buy the fretless from the manufacturer rather that do it yourself because you know that it will sound as optimum as it can. Defretting is a guessing game, hoping it wont have dead spots or other abnormalities common in guitars, that will definetely become apparent once the defretting procedure is done. And to my knowledge, there is no easy way to go back to being fretted, unless a new fretboard is put in, then you just got yourself into all this mess, which could of easily been avoided by just buying a fretless.

4. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Not really an easy way and I've never heard anyone doing it, but every luthier should be able to re-fret a de-fretted board. The fret slots just need to be sawn again. All basses are born fretless ;)

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    A defretted bass could be easily refretted (well, at least easily as it was the first time), as mentioned, by the same method that the frets were installed the first time.

I had a Growler. I liked it for what it was. Never really fell in love with it though. Although, in hindsite, it would have made a fine fretless bass.

As far as finding a neck, I don't think so, unless someone has one off another bass. I am not even sure that Gibson offered a fretless version.

The U.S. made Gibson Tobias basses are no longer being made. In addition, I can't recall ever seeing an aftermarket supplier offering Gibson-Tobias parts.

If you like the bass, I would at least consider defretting it. I disagree with the thought that defretted basses are inherently inferior. If properly done, you end up with a fretless constructed exactly like most "factory" lined fretless basses.

Any deadspots in the neck should already be known and the conversion will not create any if correctly done. If the bass is of sound and suitable construction and sounds and plays well as a fretted, it will make a fine fretless. I wouldn't call it a guessing game at all.

I have converted three jazz basses. You would never know that they weren't born that way if I didn't tell you.

Chas

6. Thanks for all of your input, everyone.

Actually, I've done my research and Tobias did indeed have a fretless version.

Unfortunately, as mentioned, all Tobias basses are no longer being made anymore.

Guess I gotta wait to find a neck Ebay or defret her...decisions, decisions...

Masaki