Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steve S, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I purchased a used 1980 Japanese fretless Fender Jazz several months ago. I've played with it several times but just don't like the fretless sound. Has anyone added frets to a neck? How difficult is it to do and how much would it cost?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It would require a very thin and shape saw blade with small teeth so as to avoid tear out. I would also suggest some sort of jig to make sure you kept the blade perpendicular to the board. And of course some sort of template or knowledge of the mathmatics as to how to calculate EXACTLY where the frets go. Your tolerances are very tight.

All that being said, you could probably post an add and find someone willing to do a neck switch with you, as there are always those wanting to go the other direction.

Also, that bass is somewhat desirable, so I am sure you could sell it for more than enough to purchase a fretted one similar.

I kind of hate to contemplate such a sweet fretless getting modified in such a way, but I guess it happens.

Chas

3. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Chasarms, I don't know if it's a good idea either. I can't get into playing fretless so maybe I'll sell it. I hate to just let it sit around unplayed.

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    IMO, to make that axe fretted, you'd expend a lot of time and trouble without achieving anything that couldn't be done more simply. I'd recommend 1 of 2 things: (1) sell it and get a fretted, or (2) buy a good fretted neck from Warmoth or somebody, put it on your MIJ Jazz, then sell the original fretless neck on eBay or wherever. Good luck!

5. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thanks Richard,

I called Mike Lull's shop...they charge almost $400 to change the neck to fretted and recommended that I sell the bass and buy something else.